Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

FLT 4l65E Level 5 Report

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up FLT 4l65E Level 5 Report

A lot of guys asked that I post up my impressions of the new tranny.

I'm having some problems after the install. Not tranny related and have managed only a few miles on it to this point.

I first want to say that all business dealings with FLT has been top notch. They met their delivery dates right on. Shipping in a top notch returnable crate. Provided all the shipping documents to return the exchange. Answered all my questions and even going so far as to talk with another company regarding questions about clearances with the converter.

Transmission came with all the necessary gaskets and plumbing to mate the transmission to my truck. IE: changing out the tail shaft housing for my 4x4.

Performance of the transmission is so far perfect. I had a stocker that I had installed a Transgo and corvette servo. Never did get the part throttle shifts to my liking. I was concerned when I learned they install the Transgo with two shims under the 1-2 accumulator when I couldn't get just one to shift right. Chuck assured me the shift would be fine and he was right. Part throttle up shifting is perfect. Smooth, quick and firm. I love it.

I guess what really amazes me is how quick and nicely the tranny downshifts. With the stocker there was sometimes hesitation to the downshift and would on occasion jump 3-2-1. Mash the throttle with this unit and BAM, gear obtained and hang on.

WOT upshifting is also perfect. Not a harsh bang. Smoooth but firm shift. I've had a couple 1-2 shifts leave about a 2 ft long scratch. 2-3 is crisp and firm. 3-4. No signs of slip full throttle even at TC lock around 70 under full boost. I can't imagine a better feeling upshift. Reminds me of my old TH400 days behind the BB Pontiac.

If the tranny holds up to some long term abuse I couldn't be happier. If you are in the market for performance tranny. No worries with FLT in my book.

Last edited by KySilverado; 02-17-2006 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool

can you give us an idea of the price range of the tranny?
Old 02-17-2006, 10:36 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Colby 04
cool

can you give us an idea of the price range of the tranny?
Check out their site: http://www.finishlinetrans.com/
Old 02-17-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DrX
Check out their site: http://www.finishlinetrans.com/
thanks for the link. I wasn't sure what FLT stood for...
Old 02-17-2006, 11:50 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

FLT recently became a site sponsor. You will always find their logo/link to the right.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:25 AM
TECH Addict

Excellent to hear, that will probably be my next trans whenever mine goes out.
<---knock on wood
Old 02-18-2006, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am very happy with mine also!

What are the problems you are having?
Old 02-18-2006, 08:12 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently smoked my Precision converter (again) and the tranny I had in there at the time was a stock '80e with nothing but a Transgo. With all the tranny probs I have had I decided to really beef it up this time.

Being a do-it myself kinda guy I decided to find a place to get some upgrade parts. I gave Chuck at FLT a call and explained to him what I am trying to accomplish. He was happy to give me advice and suggestions and I ended up going with a setup that is basically similar to the FLT level 4. I have spoken to Chuck, Doug and Vince at FLT and they have all been extremely nice and helpful.....I would highly recommend these guys to anyone needing a transmission.

As a sidenote, I just finished the trans yesterday afternoon and I am planning on putting it in sometime today, but we have a lot of ice and snow on the ground today so I doubt I will be giving any feedback on the full throttle shifts today.

Anyways, get that 6 liter in there and lets hear your impressions on the newfound power !!
Old 02-18-2006, 08:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99BlAcKz71
I am very happy with mine also!

What are the problems you are having?
Strange noises I can't find. Might have hurt the engine
Old 02-18-2006, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by L-EATER
Being a do-it myself kinda guy I decided to find a place to get some upgrade parts.
I'm that way also. I've tried a couple trannies in the day. It was ugly! There are now 2 things I leave to the pro's. Auto trannies and setting up rear ends. Anbody that can make these two items work deserve a big

Quick Reply: FLT 4l65E Level 5 Report