Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

FLT L7 Install / Tru Cool 40K / Bud Hayes3 rocks!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 11:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Pics added: FLT L7 Install / CircleD/ Tru Cool 40K / BH3 rocks!

I'm not gonna post a bunch of pics. Here & there I will. I wanna concentrate on doin, Billy can handle the photograhy.
For some great pics, go to this thread.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=462869

A few differences. I'm 2wd; Billy's 4wd & has transfer case issues he's improving. He's running factory style line setup w/. EAD brkts. to adapt to his 40K. I'm running 40K w/. AN fittings & lines from end-end, at least as it pertains to this thread for trans & cooler.

Billy is the Man & just as many on PT have helped him, he has helped me. He posted the issues on what to look for & incredibly detailed pics that show it.

My hat's off to him. And many of you on here.

I had a few issues. I'm doin most of it myself. The T40's & neutral safety switch (NSS) came out smooth. My biggest issue was the exhaust. The Dynatech bolts just spin, so I had to cut em. New bolts will go in place of their shitty flat, carriage bolt design. The shitty flat, carriage bolt fits flush into a recess in collector. There's not enough space to put pliers, wrench or anything else betw. the 2 flanges. It just spins whether by hand or impact.

1 cutoff did help, but after it wore down, I needed the extra diameter of a new wheel, a thinner wheel too, I might add. Did what I could w/. that 2nd cutoff wheel, but top pass. side was impossible w/o my favorite tool. My trusty Sawzall!!!

I wasn't able to devote as much time as I wanted cause I had to leave to celebrate w/. family, my Mom's B-day Sun. even tho it's actually the 24th.

I asked my bro to stay home from work & I'd help him w/. his revamp of garage by adding beams & closing off space above it. But I said, if he'd help me. We went as far as we could w/. that, & I then asked when would he be ready to help me on my project? He missed that I'd said that when I indeed mentioned it in afternoon; it was night now. If only I knew that, I'd have stopped sooner on his project, so he could lend his wealth of knowledge.
I'm kinda down. It seems I accomplished little due to the exhaust. :sad:

I did get: grille out, guards, braces, driveshaft bolts came out easy but needed prying to separate pinion side. NSS & gear selector are off, X-member, trans mount & nut, o2's unplugged. Drained trans pan.

Last edited by fastnblu; 05-30-2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Title modded & pics added in a later post.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:14 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the kind words Tom, the feeling is mutual...you were there and did some homework for me on Saturday when I had questions and didn't have time to start a thread and wait for answers, not to mention helping me to finish paying this trans off

Funny how my exhaust came right off, which was my biggest fear, yet I had issues with the T40's that came out smoothly for you...I have 3 broken T-40 bits, 2 at home and one at work that broke on a Lexus. Guess that 40 isn't a good number for me...hope to turn that around as that's my age

Thanks again buddy
Old 05-24-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

After my exhaust collector bolts giving me fits. I had issues separating trans from engine. 1 dowel pin coulda been seized on, but I think my bro got overzealous, even after I told him not to.
I wanted it pryed evenly, he just wanted to get it apart. It might not have been from him, but it didn't help. I later punched dowel pin on pass. side outta trans, a quick emery paper cleanup, & took a punch & hammer & put it back into block like the other. And eyeballed to even up the pair.

I pulled out the 2 trans lines & cooler line whole & intact. Ya, they have a few scrapes, but I figured out after fighting them how to remove more easily.

Got tranny out, swapped over vent tube & othe misc. crap from old trans to new.
Blew out trans lines or should I say my bro gave me an ATF shower when that blast from cleaner shot thru line.

I started some other tidbits too.
Progress is movin along, just not like I wanted.

Last edited by fastnblu; 05-24-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:22 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

LOL at giving your brother an ATF shower, I've done that before Getting there Tom, we're both having our issues but moving along nonetheless
Old 05-25-2010, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Reread that post. I got the ATF shower.

I said u spray the end w/. that can FLT includes. I didn't use that rubber hose that came w/. my TruCool. I figured it couldn't be too bad. I figured wrong! It didn't trickle out, but jet blasted out across the driver's side of trans tunnel & got the wire looms too.

Then it was cleanup time, wiping it all off.
We had both line off, so we ran each 1 clear. I didn't do it so much to clear the lines ( even tho I wanted em cleaned out) as I did to flush any possible contaminates outta radiator.

After the 1st few blasts from the cooler flush, after it sprayed underneath & got me, I attached the Trucool rubber hose & tipped it toward drainpan. If I ever had to do it again, I'd use an empty milk jug w/. a rag around opening of jug to prevent splashback. Live & learn.

I'm so tired, I really wanna go to sleep. But I wanna get the trans done too.

So now I get to finish my brkt mts. for TruCool, run new lines, put in stall, check specs, & reassemble.

It certainly hasn't gone smooth as I'd hoped, but it should be worth it in the end. I figured I'd be done by now, but I could do faster if I had to do again. I learned from my mistakes. I know what to look for, a large part of that is due to Billy's helpful advice & tips on here.

I'll reiterate, all the lines to trans & old cooler were pulled out whole. It was a nightmare, cause I'll bet GM doesn't have all that **** in the way on the assembly line, no engine either. They're prolly laid down at beginning of build.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ran all my AN lines & fittings, exhaust back up & everything that needed to go back on is done. Put in 4 QTS, so my bro says climb under & check for leaks. Sure enough, it leaked a little outta dipstick.

That said, is there a O-ring? If so, anyone know a p/n?

If so, is it just inside trans? Or just above the surface where tube meets the "meat" of the trans?

So close...
Old 05-26-2010, 05:23 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow Tom,

You have my luck !

This stuff is def easier said than done.

Keep pluggin away, youll get there! Walk away when it gets frustrating, it will get done.

Good luck man.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:35 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Tom there should have been new seals in your goodie bag. The one for the dipstick is a top hat looking thing. It needs to be installed into the case with a bit of grease on the inside of the grommet. This way hopefully the dipstick slides in easy. Hope this helps. Vince
Old 05-26-2010, 08:06 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Reread that post. I got the ATF shower.

I said u spray the end w/. that can FLT includes. I didn't use that rubber hose that came w/. my TruCool. I figured it couldn't be too bad. I figured wrong! It didn't trickle out, but jet blasted out across the driver's side of trans tunnel & got the wire looms too.

Then it was cleanup time, wiping it all off.
We had both line off, so we ran each 1 clear. I didn't do it so much to clear the lines ( even tho I wanted em cleaned out) as I did to flush any possible contaminates outta radiator.

After the 1st few blasts from the cooler flush, after it sprayed underneath & got me, I attached the Trucool rubber hose & tipped it toward drainpan. If I ever had to do it again, I'd use an empty milk jug w/. a rag around opening of jug to prevent splashback. Live & learn.

I'm so tired, I really wanna go to sleep. But I wanna get the trans done too.

So now I get to finish my brkt mts. for TruCool, run new lines, put in stall, check specs, & reassemble.

It certainly hasn't gone smooth as I'd hoped, but it should be worth it in the end. I figured I'd be done by now, but I could do faster if I had to do again. I learned from my mistakes. I know what to look for, a large part of that is due to Billy's helpful advice & tips on here.

I'll reiterate, all the lines to trans & old cooler were pulled out whole. It was a nightmare, cause I'll bet GM doesn't have all that **** in the way on the assembly line, no engine either. They're prolly laid down at beginning of build.
LOL, you got the ATF shower, that's even funnier! When I did mine I ran a hose (well, 2 hoses linked together with a brass double barbed fitting), into a drain pan and didn't spill a drop I did get an atf shower when I split the transfer case from the transfer case adapter though...there shouldn't be fluid in there I think...guess that the old tailshaft seal was leaking or fluid blew by it when the trans smoked and started blowing cooler lines off and the dipstick out of the dipstick tube. You've made good progress though, don't worry about how long it takes, as long as it's good when it's done

When I removed the line that I had to replace for the new GM aux trans cooler, I cut it so it came out easily in two pieces Figured that it's going in the trash anyway...

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Tom there should have been new seals in your goodie bag. The one for the dipstick is a top hat looking thing. It needs to be installed into the case with a bit of grease on the inside of the grommet. This way hopefully the dipstick slides in easy. Hope this helps. Vince
Yep, I found mine and greased it up just like that...dipstick tube slipped right in like...well, think dirty thoughts and you'll know how it slipped in

I like what 1Bear said in my "FLT Level7 is finally here thread": "Keep fighting the good fight"...I've been saying that to myself as I've done this swap and it's helped me keep focused Rember that the end result will be worth the speed bumps that you've met along the way
Old 05-26-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Tophat was inside bag. Oops!

So...It's Alive!!!

Quick Reply: FLT L7 Install / Tru Cool 40K / Bud Hayes3 rocks!