Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

FLT L7 Install / Tru Cool 40K / Bud Hayes3 rocks!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And how do you like it?
Old 05-26-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too early to tell how much I like it, but it's somethin I won't have to worry about since it's as bulletproof as I can make a 4L6xE & stall. Or as much as FLT & Circle D can.

Initial impressions: It shifts firm but nice. Really nice. When it coasts down, there's jolt that I was told is normal. I forgot what Andy at FLT said causes this, but it's 1 of the performance parts of tranny. I 1st thought it was needing tweakin on shift points, but Andy said not to worry.

I can't wait to really get on it. I guess I can wait 150 miles.

I was worried bout my AN fittings being too tight so they needed to be gone over. I feared cracking radiator, cooler, or trans to the point they were too loose.
I still have to check under where they connect to trans.

Also, my shift lever says I'm in a different gear than it really is. I'm off by 1 gear. So low is really 2nd gear. 2nd is really 3rd. So to have in Overdrive, I need it in 3rd on display. I'm not sure what way to adjust for that. As in which direction? Anyone?
Old 05-26-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnblu
I was worried bout my AN fittings being too tight so they needed to be gone over. I feared cracking radiator, cooler, or trans to the point they were too loose.
I still have to check under where they connect to trans.
So, you are saying that you had some leaks at the cooler? I would like to see some pics of the cooler setup.

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Also, my shift lever says I'm in a different gear than it really is. I'm off by 1 gear. So low is really 2nd gear. 2nd is really 3rd. So to have in Overdrive, I need it in 3rd on display. I'm not sure what way to adjust for that. As in which direction? Anyone?
Put it in park (as indicated on the dash). I assume the tranny would then be in reverse? Remove the shift lever cable from the shifter rod (at the tranny). I believe you need to turn the shifter rod clockwise (I can't remember which way Park would be). then hook it back up.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SnakeOiler
So, you are saying that you had some leaks at the cooler? I would like to see some pics of the cooler setup.

Put it in park (as indicated on the dash). I assume the tranny would then be in reverse? Remove the shift lever cable from the shifter rod (at the tranny). I believe you need to turn the shifter rod clockwise (I can't remember which way Park would be). then hook it back up.
All points needed tightening, except cooler on passenger side.
I'm pretty tired, but I'll post pics tomorrow.

No, if in N on indicator, that's really Reverse.

Could it be the N Safety Switch?

Last edited by fastnblu; 05-26-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just toyed w/. a 2010 Stang give or take a year.

From a stop, I got into it a bit. Pretty good actually, but I don't wanna be abusive to my goods. He put 1-2 lengths on me to 50 mph. I know he had exhaust, beyond that IDK.

On return, another Stang, an older Red ragtop by a few yrs, had exhaust, He was w/. his girl. If he was all the way into it, well... then, I like it.
I pulled nicely.

Still get those jerks, so I'm really thinkin shift points need to go up or down a bit. I still gotta figure out which way. How will I know?

Last edited by fastnblu; 05-28-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:42 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats Tom, looks like you beat me by a few hours, got mine together tonight too (as you know from our phone conversation lol, you called during my maiden voyage). I absolutely love my new trans and converter, as well as the tune, but I'll cover all that in my thread
Old 05-27-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

I gotta tighten up the AN fittings at trans. After shift selector issue & that, it should be right.

I've never driven a stall before. I gotta get used to that. The sharp shudder or jerk on coastdown is somethin I don't remember on a performance automatic. Is that lockup or servo or accumulator, etc.? I wish I could remember what Andy said causes that.

So, I take my brother for a ride. He asks, "How do u like it?"

I told him it's different. It shifts really fast & smooth when I get on it. It seems to fall off less now when I'm on gas. After he went w/. me for ride, I said whatdaya think? My bro said it seems like it pulls & pulls.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:57 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats Tom! Now you need mo powa!!

Get busy with your HPT and get your transmission settings dialed in. Lemme know if you need help. You can tame that shift you described.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

you bum you did not call me to help!
Old 05-28-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey Tom,

It was good finally getting to meet you! Trans/converter feels Awesome!!!! Definitely, give them props to setting up a nice package!

Quick Reply: FLT L7 Install / Tru Cool 40K / Bud Hayes3 rocks!