Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

FLT L7 Install / Tru Cool 40K / Bud Hayes3 rocks!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Congrats Tom! Now you need mo powa!!

Get busy with your HPT and get your transmission settings dialed in. Lemme know if you need help. You can tame that shift you described.
True, I do need to get dialed in, Roger. I might hit you up on that.
It's tough getting used to how hard that lockup hits (or my words from earlier, jerks). That'll take some getting used to, but how hard it pulls now, I'm really startin to enjoy it. I pull away from traffic rather easily.

Originally Posted by OnyxSilveradoSS
you bum you did not call me to help!
Joe, ya I know.

Originally Posted by slowfive0
Hey Tom,

It was good finally getting to meet you! Trans/converter feels Awesome!!!! Definitely, give them props to setting up a nice package!
Same here, Tiny. Thanks for kind words. I have, do, & will continue to say they both build a nice product. I'm glad u put my mind at ease, & told me that jerk is the lockup. I was startin to get worried, & I sure didn't wanna pull trans, so it's nice to nice it's normal w/. a stall.

I like your truck. Sweet color too!
And it's not loud. Certainly not as loud as I thought it'd be. I was expecting obnoxious.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats Tom! time for some Boost!!!
Old 05-28-2010, 10:28 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Tom with the HD shift valve we install the coasting down shifts will be more noticeable. Especially in the D3 shifter position. This is due to the fact that the over run clutch is now applied in this range for 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. In the OD range the coasting down shifts should not be as noticeable as they are in the D3 position. If and when () you are doing spirited driving, please keep the shifter in the D3 position. With this valve body modification the over run clutches will be applied in all gears 1st-3rd. This helps the input sprag with it's holding power and that is a good thing. Vince
Old 05-28-2010, 11:34 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Tom with the HD shift valve we install the coasting down shifts will be more noticeable. Especially in the D3 shifter position. This is due to the fact that the over run clutch is now applied in this range for 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. In the OD range the coasting down shifts should not be as noticeable as they are in the D3 position. If and when () you are doing spirited driving, please keep the shifter in the D3 position. With this valve body modification the over run clutches will be applied in all gears 1st-3rd. This helps the input sprag with it's holding power and that is a good thing. Vince
That's good info about staying in D3...I guess that's the way to run it at the track also?

Tom, did you try adjusting the neutral safety switch yet?
Old 05-29-2010, 12:00 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Yes D3 at the track. I think track use would fit into the same category as "spirited driving!"
Old 05-29-2010, 10:59 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes D3 at the track. I think track use would fit into the same category as "spirited driving!"
"Spirited 1320 driving"
Old 05-29-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the valuable info Vince. I was gonna ask u if I had to run in 3rd at track before u ever posted in this thread.

I went over my best friend Joe's today. I cleaned up my fluid leak at trans AN fittings off of the frame, exhaust, X-member & whatever it got on. Then I tightened em up. It took longer to that than to fix my next problem.
I went over my Neutral Safety Switch & studied how it mounted. It was then adjusted & checked to see if it made a difference.
It did!!! All detents are exactly where they should line up at, very defined, & agree w/. selector on cluster.

Shifts butter smooth, but firm.
I might not even have to mess w/. shift points, but may just to see. I still wanna look at trans tables on HPT.

FLT ROCKS!!!
So does Circle D!!!

I haven't been able to do it yet, as I said a few days ago, but pics will be up tomorrow. MONDAY at latest. They're coming SnakeOiler...& others.

Last edited by fastnblu; 05-29-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:31 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Good to hear Tom. Have a great holiday. Vince
Old 05-30-2010, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Right back atcha Vince!!!
Old 05-30-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

I gotta see if my PICS will load, but here's a starter. 295/35/18, think it'll help me lay down some power?
As a reference, when I stretch my fingers like that, it's 9" from thumb-most outstretched finger, pinky.

I wanna say 10.2" contact patch.

More pics to follow. I gotta downsize all of them since they're way too big, I wish photobucket had a better, faster way.

Quick Reply: FLT L7 Install / Tru Cool 40K / Bud Hayes3 rocks!