Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

FLT L7 Install / Tru Cool 40K / Bud Hayes3 rocks!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to see you got the 45° hose ends. good choice.

You need 2 of these at trans. They're 1/4 pipe - (-6AN) adapters. Thanks Snake Oiler for info!
Hey, I thought I told you NPSM, not NPT. I would have used these. Or preferably, ones with an O-ring seal
Old 05-30-2010, 11:07 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are the ones we stock with the brass washer. They work great.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Geez and i thought i had a rusty frame, mine looks like a show truck compared to yours..
Old 05-31-2010, 12:21 AM
On The Tree

so, where are the donut vids? they are irresistable with a stall.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SnakeOiler
Glad to see you got the 45° hose ends. good choice.

Hey, I thought I told you NPSM, not NPT. I would have used these. Or preferably, ones with an O-ring seal
Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Those are the ones we stock with the brass washer. They work great.
Snake or Vince, what's the diff betw NPSM or NPT?
It's what guy at the fitting/ hydraulic store recommended. I said what bout O-ring? He said not needed. Andy said I shoulda told u I was goin AN so u coulda installed them instead. It was a late in the game decision to go AN.

Vince, is that index washer, for lack of a better term, the only diff.?

skolman91, ya I love how MI road salt just uglies up underneath & leaves a rusty frame. It's yet another advantage to living down south.

HoveyBayou, no donut vids. No vid cam. ...Yet!
Old 05-31-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

NPSM National Pipe Straight Mechanical (straight thread)
NPT National Pipe Thread (tapered thread)

NPSM fittings are typically used in hydraulic systems.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

I knew what NPT stood for. I just couldn't come up w/. what NPSM stood for, yet I knew I needed a 1/4" straight.

You by chance a machinist?
Old 05-31-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnblu
I knew what NPT stood for. I just couldn't come up w/. what NPSM stood for, yet I knew I needed a 1/4" straight.

You by chance a machinist?
No, I've just had my hands in a lot of different things. Before becoming a welding inspector, I ran the equipment department for a construction company and of course my early background was an instrument fitter. In my spare time I would build off-shore race motors and good faith re-builds on hurt crate motors for a local GM dealer when I lived in Norcal, which just about all were big-blocks of course.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:33 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Vince, is that index washer, for lack of a better term, the only diff.?
No it is another form of seal for the fitting to case. I have never seen an oring for these so that's new to me. The brass washer is a bit funky because it kind of floats around before you totally tighten the fitting up. Does not fit tight on the threads as one would think it should I guess is what I'm saying.

What I normally do is us a bit of anaerobic sealer on the threads. Then tighten the fitting up holding the washer on center as best as I can. When the shoulder of the fitting comes in contact with the washer and the case I now have double seal. Works well for what it is.

I'll have to get my hands on a set with the orings to see if I like those better. They use the same concept for the rear cooler fitting on a 97 and later 4l80e. The only difference is the pressure on that fitting is directed right into the center support. Not sure how this will work when the actual hole the threads go into see's pressure.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
No it is another form of seal for the fitting to case. I have never seen an oring for these so that's new to me. The brass washer is a bit funky because it kind of floats around before you totally tighten the fitting up. Does not fit tight on the threads as one would think it should I guess is what I'm saying.

What I normally do is us a bit of anaerobic sealer on the threads. Then tighten the fitting up holding the washer on center as best as I can. When the shoulder of the fitting comes in contact with the washer and the case I now have double seal. Works well for what it is.

I'll have to get my hands on a set with the orings to see if I like those better. They use the same concept for the rear cooler fitting on a 97 and later 4l80e. The only difference is the pressure on that fitting is directed right into the center support. Not sure how this will work when the actual hole the threads go into see's pressure.
Anaerobic sealer? Is pipe dope (liquid teflon paste) fall under that category? I was gonna use pipe dope or teflon tape, & my 1 brother said NO. I was thinkin the former would be better of the 2. He said u don't want issues w/. it workin loose & getting into tranny. I wasn't gonna slop it on just extra insurance against possible leaks. So I heeded his advice.

No leaks.
BTW, I may've already mentioned it, but guy @ hydraulic / fluid systems store showed me the blue fitting I went w/. after I showed him that Russell 1 you mentioned.

EDIT: Permatex 51813 = Loctite 518, or is there another 1 you use that dries in absence of o2?

Loctite 37394 is only $8 from Summit. Permatex 51031 Anaerobic High Temp Flange Sealant 1.69 fl. oz. 50 ml is a bit pricey ~$23. Even more $$ is Loctite 574 Anaerobic Sealant @ $25.

So which 1 do u recommend? For other PT members since mine is lookin the way I want it too now it's tight - DRY.

Last edited by fastnblu; 05-31-2010 at 08:22 PM.

Quick Reply: FLT L7 Install / Tru Cool 40K / Bud Hayes3 rocks!