Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

FLT or Performabuilt?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 04:07 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I went with my gut and ordered the Level 5 FLT 4L65E. Bill suggested the 80e but in all reality I don't think its necessary for me. Plus im already getting hell from the wife. Yeah im making 500 hp. altitude corrected up here im really not making that much. now if I was at sea level like most there would be alot more strain on the tranny and I don't beat on my truck every second i get. Didn't want to go 80e because of the power loss not to mention getting it in there. I just wanted a easy direct swap deal and be done with it.

Talked to chuck for a while on the phone and decided to go with a heavy duty stock stall converter. I tow 7,000 lbs. with the truck and the stall i have in there just makes things get too warm. This is my DD/ Play/ Tow vehicle. If my stock tranny with small mods has lasted 87,000 miles I would think this built unit should go for som time.

Wilde also recommended stock stall. says his turbo spools quicker, tows way better, gets better gas milage. All the above seem to suit my needs better.

If anyone wants my converter I have now I'll give you a good deal on it. just need to wait untill my new tranny gets here before I take it out.

Thanks for all your input guys, I think I made the right choice.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

You won't be sorry. I picked FLT for my former ride primarily because they were 100 yards from my office. I have spent quite a bit of time over there and was very impressed. Their trannies are great and their service is just as good. I got a solid 70K out of my mild FLT build with minor engine mods, 0% TM, lots of romping, and lots of towing before I traded her in.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:22 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good deal Mark. My Lv5 has been in for ~16K miles and seems to be taking the licking I hand it.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:51 PM

Mark,
Glad to see a supporting vendor will take care of you. I hate to sound Moderator like but FLT (as well as Performabuilt) support this forum... and throwing one of these guys a bone is sure appreciated!

Bill
Old 01-18-2008, 07:21 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Bill Reid
Mark,
Glad to see a supporting vendor will take care of you. I hate to sound Moderator like but FLT (as well as Performabuilt) support this forum... and throwing one of these guys a bone is sure appreciated!

Bill
Thanks Bill! It was a super tough decision as they both have a great track record. I just had to go with my gut feeling and chose FLT. I don't have any experience with shops out here and even if they say their trannys will hold up and a little cheaper,I didn't feel comfortable taking it to them. sure maybe they will hold 500 hp. in a "f-body" but trucks are heavy and from what I know not many people out here have fast trucks.

So there it is! My CC has a balance higher than it ever has and Im not gonna bitch. I agree I have a sickness and its not that easy to kick, Life goes on its only money. Atleast I still have my family that loves me and thats what matters most.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:26 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put a order in with performabuilt, had a slight problem on the page, before I got it taking care of frank was calling me on the phone to help me out, thats what I called good customer service..
John
Old 01-18-2008, 08:13 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
I just put a order in with performabuilt, had a slight problem on the page, before I got it taking care of frank was calling me on the phone to help me out, thats what I called good customer service..
John
Thanks that why we have someone ME who watches everything all the time and not tryng to divide my time between working in the shop and the customer, We have techs in the shop to build the transmissions and we have me also a technician of 25 years available to our customers 15 hours a day 7 days a week, Because we want our customers to know we are allways there when you need it. Nothing worse than picking up the phone when you need something only to hear a voice mail say we will get back with you during bissiness hours monday thru friday 8 am till 5 pm. Who has time to work on there car then? Thanks JOHN

Last edited by performabuilt; 01-20-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:20 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by WJ MARK
Well I went with my gut and ordered the Level 5 FLT 4L65E. Bill suggested the 80e but in all reality I don't think its necessary for me. Plus im already getting hell from the wife. Yeah im making 500 hp. altitude corrected up here im really not making that much. now if I was at sea level like most there would be alot more strain on the tranny and I don't beat on my truck every second i get. Didn't want to go 80e because of the power loss not to mention getting it in there. I just wanted a easy direct swap deal and be done with it.

Talked to chuck for a while on the phone and decided to go with a heavy duty stock stall converter. I tow 7,000 lbs. with the truck and the stall i have in there just makes things get too warm. This is my DD/ Play/ Tow vehicle. If my stock tranny with small mods has lasted 87,000 miles I would think this built unit should go for som time.

Wilde also recommended stock stall. says his turbo spools quicker, tows way better, gets better gas milage. All the above seem to suit my needs better.

If anyone wants my converter I have now I'll give you a good deal on it. just need to wait untill my new tranny gets here before I take it out.

Thanks for all your input guys, I think I made the right choice.
Thanks Mark, It was nice talking to you on Friday and thanks for choosing FLT. I know you made the right choice even though our competitor likes to take shots at Vince and I because were not standing next to the phone/computer 15 hours a day, 7 days a week. We both do have family's that we like to spend time with when were not at the shop, which often is 6 and sometimes even 7 days a week. Our customers are very comfortable knowing that Vince and I are the ONLY TWO that touch their transmission during the building & dyno testing process and not sitting at a desk or have someone other than us building them. You have myself with 30 years of transmission experience and Vince with 18 years which happen to be the same guys that are available for tech support via PM's, email, and phone everyday when we can and we do make time for it believe me. Just FYI we do NOT work on cars here at FLT, like was mentioned above, we just build the BEST & STRONGEST transmissions on the market today. Oh, and we have plenty of customers here to back it up!!
Old 01-20-2008, 12:33 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

and you deep fry a mean turkey too.

It's good to have choices for our membership.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FLT
Thanks Mark, It was nice talking to you on Friday and thanks for choosing FLT. I know you made the right choice even though our competitor likes to take shots at Vince and I because were not standing next to the phone/computer 15 hours a day, 7 days a week. We both do have family's that we like to spend time with when were not at the shop, which often is 6 and sometimes even 7 days a week. Our customers are very comfortable knowing that Vince and I are the ONLY TWO that touch their transmission during the building & dyno testing process and not sitting at a desk or have someone other than us building them. You have myself with 30 years of transmission experience and Vince with 18 years which happen to be the same guys that are available for tech support via PM's, email, and phone everyday when we can and we do make time for it believe me. Just FYI we do NOT work on cars here at FLT, like was mentioned above, we just build the BEST & STRONGEST transmissions on the market today. Oh, and we have plenty of customers here to back it up!!
I agree with everything chuck has said above, i have talked to both of them on the phone alot and i know who is working on my tranny and they are both extremely knowledgable and willing to help out when they can, my level 4 has survived 20k+ miles behind my heavy lead foot and motors ranging from stock 5.3L to Heads and cam + nitrous 5.3L and now my cammed LS2 and besides the obvious tire spin problem it has survived that much driving and countless track passes on slicks without a hiccup. my hat is off to you guys and your trannys :Cheers:

Quick Reply: FLT or Performabuilt?????