Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

f'n truck caught fire

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f'n truck caught fire

I was traveling home when i saw a cloud of smoke coming from the rear of my truck. It looked like something straight out of Spy Hunter. I looked as my oil presure to see if i had thrown a rod or something. It was ok. I was driving normal so i figured it wasnt that. Anyway i got pulled over to see whats going on. I popped the hood and there was the fire. My inner fender was burning. I luckily had a bottle of water in my truck that i put it out with. Anyway i found the top trans line had popped off the radiator. Does this usually happen? I dont know if my tranny installer didnt put it on correctly or if it was due to the age of the line. I have a jerry' transmission ,suppose to be as bad to the bone as they build them, put in about 2000 miles ago. I would have thought if it was not put on correctly it would have came off by then. Anyway could it be that the tranny has too much pressure to it. Its a 4l65e so i dont if they would be any different than a 4l60. I talked to my tuner Allen and he says the settting are at stock setting. What went wrong?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:10 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

happend to me once too, that smoke ws so thick I think I stopped freeway traffic

Last edited by trever1t; 08-05-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Me too...I cover the highway, I could imagine they all stopped. I surely couldn't see them. Your installer didn't tighten down the clamp or didn't put the lock pin in all the way on the radiator.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

ive seen them pop out on stock setups before... if the clip is not locked in exactly right in the grooves its only a matter of time...

and it may seem like it was in right to your installer but just slightly not in right and its done for
Old 08-05-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

i figured after trying it out, hard launches, and 2000 miles it would have blown by now. Well there is about a 6 inch square missing ou of my inner fender now. I guess it makes for a great veiw of my header on that side. My oil cap neck filler thingy is melted and also the hood insulation. It doesn't look like alot of damage but i think i am done and i am going to sell it. maybe i will go buy a nice used volve wagon or something. i would have let this thing burn to the ground if i didnt have some much money tied up in it.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Run A Tranny Cooler By Itself,hope Its Ok.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

well we all get frustrated and pissed off when something goes wrong, but you can still claim that on insurance if you wanted to and be able to fix it (if you have full coverage) and then not worry about it, plus that would make it better to sell than something that looks like it was on fire
Old 08-05-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took all that stuff off and put Push Lock hose and Them pretty fittings on mine.. I did have a line split coming out of the transmission.. i was running about 100 down the interstate and looked back and my heart felt like it stopped.. I pulled over and jumped out with my fire extinguisher expecting the worst. Finally after letting the transmission and exhaust cool off i got under there and re did my lines on the side of a bridge with 18 wheelers passing... it wasnt fun.

I got home and put new hoses and fittings on all my transmission lines.

Fire extinguishers are cheap insurance... 2 of them for $30 and they are pretty small but powerful.

Put a fire out on a mustang at the dragstrip one time. He was some kinda Glad!!

My buddy has a 2001 Dmax/Allison... he roasted the allison cause that lil dang clip come loose.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

yeah this itty bitty town's fire dept saw me coming down the road. One of the firemen was is his personal vehicle and he was the first to stop. As i was pouring my water bottle on the biggest part of the flame he was calling for back up.. I asked him if he had a fire extinguisher and he said no. I was said jokingly "umm isnt that part of being a fire man" So anyway here comes this fire truck from the 1950's and it smokes worse than the fire under my hood. So i got most of the fire out and the rest was small enough to blow out. I was hating that i smoked at the time. The bitch of it is the dealership just replaced the bottom line last week. So there i sat waiting for the wrecker. I looked over and all through this i looked over ,cause one of the firemen pointed it out, there was a buck eating apples from a tree about 40 yards away. Then i swear it looked at me and laughed. Then just to rub a bit more salt on it that dumba$$ song "the roof, the roof, the roof is on fire" was on. I told my buddy to turn on some tunes so i wouldnt have to talk since i was bummed out and i will be damned if that song wasnt on. I though my friend was gonna soil himself he was laughing so hard. I guess in a strange way it was funny. I am sure i deserved it from something i did before in life.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

oh and i asked the fireman why he called for back up and he said "you got nitrous and i was scared your truck would blow up. lol

Quick Reply: f'n truck caught fire