Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Ford Keys better than Cranking torsions up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Keys better than Cranking torsions up?

Will using the ford keys keep the drive train components at or closer to stock than just cranking up the torsion bars? I just want to level the front of my 4x4 out with the back end before I install my STS turbo kit. I know cranking up the stock torsion bars will stiffen up the ride, but many have said it screws up the alignment of the drive train parts.
Thanks guys.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:57 PM
Launching!

with the ford keys you don't have to screw in your torsion bar bolts all the way in, but doing either you will need a front end alignment
Old 01-09-2005, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

it is the exact same thing. the ford keys are indexed differently than the chevy keys. cranking up your stock keys you run out of thread on the bolt. Instead of adding a longer bolt that can bend easy. You re-index the torsion bars so that undue stress is not put on the bolt. I took my stock keys and turned them 5 turns took up the front to level. just have the alignment check as to keep premature tire wear to a min. Ford keys will put even more cv shaft angle in also, but alot of people run them with no problem.

Longer shocks may be nessacary after doing this. it is best to un-hook one end of the shock while cranking to make sure they are not extended all the way. if they are you will have zero rebound. also when you crank the bars you take the lower control arm further away from the bump stops. these are figured into the torsion bar spring rate with the torsion bar twisting and these controling the bounce somewhat. Some like the ride after(me) some do not. good luck. i would suggest trying cranking yours up first then decide if you need more.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Question

First off I really appreciate the information guys, the next thing is which is it? Some people say you won't need an alignment some do. Anyone here done a 2002 4x4 with the ford keys to get the front just level with the back? I think most of the 99 to 02 4wd trucks have the same suspension components on them so it should apply to allot more than just my 02. The way I'm thinking is that by cranking up the bars on a stock truck with all stock components i.e. KEYS you would maybe need an alignment. But by using the ford keys the bars are not under so much stress, even though this will still change the way all the drive train components relate to each other vs a stock set up maybe its not as severe as cranking up the stock bars to get another 1.5"-2" to level it out. Somebody please clarify this for me, I am a dumbass on this subject!! Thanks again all!!!
Old 01-10-2005, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

when you crank/ford key your torsion bars you are changing the angle on the upper and lower control arms along with this it can/will change the toe-in also. this can /will effect caster and camber also. whether it is enough to cause tire wear depends on how far you take it. I cranked mine 5 turns each. it leveled out my truck I did not get it aligned. I am whatching my front tires very closely though. If I had taken it more. IE... ford keys. I would have it aligned no matter what. I think you are slightly confused as to what the ford keys are and do. It is not easier on the truck with ford keys. even at there lowest setting it will have the torsion bars cranked as much as stock keys most of the way up. Alignment is too make sure there is no tire wear. It can/will accelerate tire wear so most people say do it period rather than the 1 person who didn't get it done throw a fit when thier $200 a piece tires get waxed. just cheap insurance. it takes about 5 min to crank up the stock bolts and see if you like it. index the head of the bolt with a sharpie then mark the frame as a reference. crank each side the same amount. I went 3 first because i was told no more than 4 then went 2 more a couple of weeks later. here's mine level.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Hey thanks for the response. So really no matter what keys are on the truck, there will be more tension on the bars? I guess they can handle it fine, just wondered if you got a better ride by using the ford keys and not having to crank the bars up so far.I appreciate all the help man.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:49 AM
TECH Regular

Hey facn8me, about how much height did you gain by going 5 turns? And how much lower was your front than the rear before you cranked? I gotta do mine sometime soon, but I don't know if I can get almost 2" (1.75") out of the bars. I've heard of guys that max theirs and still only get an inch, then they go to the Ford keys. I have about 8-9 threads showing on each bolt. Front=35.75 Rear= 37.5. Kinda depressing, even when my '98 S-10 ZR2 was stock it was still taller than this truck, at least fender height-wise
Old 01-10-2005, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

imagine using a wrench to tighten a bolt. at one point the bolt is tight but not as tight as you want it because the wrench is hitting the frame. of course you pull the wrench off and reindex it so you can tighten the bolt more.(ford keys) Same effect with the torsion bars. You are not adding spring weight. you are just adjusting the lower control arm away from the frame in turn "raising" the truck. Because the lower control arm is further away from the bumpstop you effectivly take it out of the equation. It is used in conjunction with the torsion bar and shocks to reduce torsion bar twist causing bounce in the front end. Good shocks usually control this .
Old 01-10-2005, 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

There does seem to be some variance in how much height you will gain... all trucks are not created equal... I cranked my stock keys to the max and didn't get 2" out of it. So I went with the Ford Keys. Others have had no problems getting their truck level with the stock keys. It only takes 5 mins to do it... if it doesn't level out your truck, then order the Ford Keys
Old 01-10-2005, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99FireTA
There does seem to be some variance in how much height you will gain... all trucks are not created equal... I cranked my stock keys to the max and didn't get 2" out of it. So I went with the Ford Keys. Others have had no problems getting their truck level with the stock keys. It only takes 5 mins to do it... if it doesn't level out your truck, then order the Ford Keys

ditto.

I would have to say mine went real close to 2 inches. I did not measure but had a horrible nose down stance. It almost feels higher in the front now while sitting in it. The ride is better/stiffer I do believe better shocks would solve any minor gripes I have.

before

after