Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Four wheel drive not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big T
I'm the new kid on the block. I knew I had a thread going some where, but I had no idea where I started it Thanks

no problem. hope you get the answers you need.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:23 AM
Teching In

How much would a new actuater cost?
Old 01-23-2005, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Default Suburban update

The suburban is a 95. Come to find out the abs light is on as well. He was driving it in four wheel and he hit a bump and the abs light went out and thought the front axle kicked in. Then of coarse the abs light came back on. Is the abs and the four wheel problem conected?? The reason the axle does not lock in because of the abs problem?? Am I able to get the codes with out a scan tool? He is bringing the truck over next Saturday so we can check it out.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

The suburban is a 95. Come to find out the abs light is on as well. He was driving it in four wheel and he hit a bump and the abs light went out and thought the front axle kicked in. Then of coarse the abs light came back on. Is the abs and the four wheel problem conected?? The reason the axle does not lock in because of the abs problem?? Am I able to get the codes with out a scan tool? He is bringing the truck over next Saturday so we can check it out.

definitely need a scantool to get codes. you could try taking it to autozone. they scan it for free. not sure if this problem will show up on their scantool though.

i am not sure about the abs light thing. my abs light keeps flashing. i just took eletrical tape and put it over it. no i have no more light.

maybe it is the shift linkage from the transfer case
Old 01-24-2005, 10:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here's one thing you can do. Take a jumper wire, put the lever in 4WD, turn key on to run-not start. On driver's side of the transfer case there is a 2-pin switch above the front driveshaft. Jump wire across terminals and see if you hear actuator in front axle moving. If you do, the switch is bad, about $25. If not, either you have a wiring problem or the actuator itself is bad. Make sure you have power to the actuator also. With it in 4WD, you should have power to 2 wires at the actuator, out of 4WD, only one.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:47 AM
Teching In

Checked out the burb over the weekend. In two wheel, no power at the front axle. In four wheel, terminal B has power only. Some one said both wires should have power. That does not seem right. I would think the other wire should be a ground to make it work. I thought of this after the Burb left and did not find out if the wire was a ground.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Checked out the burb over the weekend. In two wheel, no power at the front axle. In four wheel, terminal B has power only. Some one said both wires should have power. That does not seem right. I would think the other wire should be a ground to make it work. I thought of this after the Burb left and did not find out if the wire was a ground.

use a light tester. that should help you find which is the ground. it has helped me out many of times
Old 05-18-2005, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

It's the actuator. Some of these designed were known to develop shorts at the plug-ins causing a mis connection to the actuator inself. If you test the wiring and find nothing wrong, then it's the actuator. before old sytle 99 model were terrible for this i guess. I heard about this and a issue with a 98 silverado.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

you can PM me and I can trace the wires back using alldata if you would like.