Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Frame Twisted... Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 02:22 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never knew about frame straightening! Cool!
Old 04-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkm0687
Well I work at a body shop in southern IN and you should be able to get that straightened. It will be more that a couple hours labor, our shop charges 4 hours labor at between 40 and 50 dollars an hour to set up and measure the frame before any pulling. You're not going to find any reputable shop that will FIX your frame for a hundred bucks. After you get a few estimates you should weigh out the cost of getting it straightened vs. changing the frame. If you are going to box that whole frame you will probably need do do some major disassembly anyways, its really not that hard to change the frame. The only real hurdle will be getting the cab off the frame, they are heavy and awkward. Will take some planning to remove the cab, but once you get the cab, bed, and doghouse out of the way you can very easily swap out the rest of the components in a day, but with the year of the truck it may be a little difficult to find a nice frame.
I fixed my 73 Ford RCSB frame with sway,diamond, and twist for $375 in an afternoon. A frame swap will take a lot longer then that especially when you start swapping drivetran and suspension with it. Factor in that most used frames come from vehicles that have been in total loss accidents and chances are you'll still have to get the "new" frame straightened.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its hard to say what it will cost to get his frame straightened, but it sounded like just straightening wont fix his twisting problem. For boxing the frame I couldn't imagine laying on my back under a truck and doing that. If he has access to a lift then he could safely lift his cab off the frame. Like i said that's whats difficult, you and a buddy can swap drivetrain and suspension in 6 hours easy. I've done it with one other guy in 4 hours. Its pretty easy with the body out of the way. The bed and dog house just unbolt, loosen all the hoses wires and crap and you and some friends can just lift off. Finding a good chassis would be a problem because there is not much of a market for frames in 85 c10's. There isn't a 85 truck out there that wouldn't be waaay totaled out if it needed a frame (in the insurance company's eyes) They don't usually keep many vehicle over 10 years old in scrap yards, but they are out there we just bought a whole 2wd 85 chevy truck bed with the chassis, suspension, rear axle, and for 500 bucks. it was an Arizona truck that was never wrecked somebody was parting out, that chassis would be perfect for this guy but it is a long bed. A frame swap isn't that that hard its just some time consuming labor, but if a full boxed frame is in you future I would search for a good frame, box it while i sat on a chair and welded, then spend a week (Monday-Friday after work , most of Saturday and Sunday) swapping my stuff to the new frame. If it is just a straight frame you are after Uncle Monkey is right taking the truck to a body shop to get it straightened will be easier.
Attached Thumbnails Frame Twisted... Any ideas?-dsc05754.jpg