Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

friend hand grenaded his rear end

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default friend hand grenaded his rear end

may be going with detroit trutrac.whuch unit is it anf from where are you guys getting them? and which do i get,specifically. ... thanks
Old 03-10-2010, 02:10 PM
The House is Rockin'

depending on what rear he has it will be a diff part number.

heres a few places to purchase parts.

http://www.ronsmachiningservice.com/store/home.php

http://www.ringpinion.com/
Old 03-10-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

appreciate it, man. he went eaton on me, he was for whatever could get here faster. i told him at least they sell rebuilt kits for them.... jk. but thanks anyway
Old 03-11-2010, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

neither one of us has done this before , he bought a dial to check the backlash.... and i told him he needed that grease to check the mesh pattern, i couldnt find any info in my haynes manual regarding this. any tips?and what should the backlash be set at, does that vary? i says to take a measurement before taking the carrier out, too late for that. will sticking it back in an taking those numbers down be sufficient or will they have changed.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I odered all my stuff from ronsmachining service. Idk chit about installing it. I paid the shop to do it so i would have someone to point the finger at if it ever broke!
Old 03-12-2010, 11:04 AM
The House is Rockin'

^

me too!

to the OP, your best having someone install it for him. you dont wanna f-up a new ring & pinion...
Old 03-12-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

agreed, but he`s a jackass and wont listen to me. ill be having someone install mine.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well, guess he isnt so much of a jackass, he got it done on friday. took him about 5 hours. so far, so good. had a good mesh pattern and he got the backlash to spec.I guess ill have to do my own now, or ill never hear the end of it. of course i could come back that he shouldnt have done a neutral drop(partial accident,revving the engine and put it in gear before the rpms came down)in the first place.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:19 PM
The House is Rockin'

Originally Posted by slow.8
of course i could come back that he shouldnt have done a neutral drop(partial accident,revving the engine and put it in gear before the rpms came down)in the first place.

thats a good way to blow a trans also!

i knew a guy that tried that same stunt, he was showing off dropping it in neutral and revvin it up. well when he went to drop it back in gear some how he put it in reverse doing about 50-60 mph. that thing slammed in gear so hard! started smokin the tires in reverse, he finally got it back in gear and ran off the road, let it rest for awhile started it back up and drove it home. its still running with no problems, but he sure crapped his pants when it happend
Old 03-19-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a little carnage...

Quick Reply: friend hand grenaded his rear end