Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Front axle (8.25") carrier bearings

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front axle (8.25") carrier bearings

Why do these things go out so often, particularly on the AWDs? The vehicles of topic are stock/mostly stock and not driven hard. Almost every AWD diff I see with ~50k or so miles (even as low as 30k) gets noisy and has a LOT of metal shavings on the drain plug magnet. Aren't the 4WD and AWD differentials themselves the same?

It seems like the 06-older models had far more problems than the 2007-newer... what changed and can the newer front diffs be used in the 06-older?
Old 07-25-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The center section of the differential is the same between the 4WD and AWD trucks, but due to being a overall weak little turd, I feel that the AWD units in particular have a hard time with being engaged at all times and it just eats the carrier bearings up. Of course, a good deal of the time it’s the carrier bearing adjuster locks that fail by having the lock tabs break off, which in turn lets the adjuster back off and then the bearings get destroyed. At one time I seen where someone came up with a fix for the adjusters backing off, but for the life of me, I can’t find it again. It seems like I recall that they drilled and tapped the housing for a bolt to lock the adjuster in place. Also, while all of them can fail, it seems as if the vehicles with larger wheels such as the SS that had 20’s seem to have even a higher casualty rate. I believe the additional loads imposed by the larger wheels and tires are even that much harder on them, of course it could have been that someone with an SS or someone that might add larger wheels and tires also may drive their vehicle more spiritedly, who knows.

Anyway, I don’t believe the newer model front differential will bolt in place of the ’99 thru ’07 Classic trucks as the newer model appears to more narrow.
2001 + AWD = 499 mm passenger side axle shaft.
2007 + AWD = 491 mm passenger side axle shaft.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply Bear, using your advise i've been searching here and on the net about the lock tabs on the adjusters. Some say they were broke off when inspecting for the whining/noise issue (and subsequently found ragged out carrier bearings). Only a couple of those people were highly modded (beyond bolt-ons and power-adders).

I read on another forum that GM redesigned the adjuster nut locks for the 07 and newer trucks... can't find anything specific about it so I've got to ask... any chance these can be used on the 06-older differentials?

Other than that, any upgrades available as far as better locks or even better bearings? (Timken, etc)
Old 07-27-2010, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by 1Bear
The center section of the differential is the same between the 4WD and AWD trucks, but due to being a overall weak little turd, I feel that the AWD units in particular have a hard time with being engaged at all times and it just eats the carrier bearings up. Of course, a good deal of the time it’s the carrier bearing adjuster locks that fail by having the lock tabs break off, which in turn lets the adjuster back off and then the bearings get destroyed. At one time I seen where someone came up with a fix for the adjusters backing off, but for the life of me, I can’t find it again. It seems like I recall that they drilled and tapped the housing for a bolt to lock the adjuster in place. Also, while all of them can fail, it seems as if the vehicles with larger wheels such as the SS that had 20’s seem to have even a higher casualty rate. I believe the additional loads imposed by the larger wheels and tires are even that much harder on them, of course it could have been that someone with an SS or someone that might add larger wheels and tires also may drive their vehicle more spiritedly, who knows.

Anyway, I don’t believe the newer model front differential will bolt in place of the ’99 thru ’07 Classic trucks as the newer model appears to more narrow.
2001 + AWD = 499 mm passenger side axle shaft.
2007 + AWD = 491 mm passenger side axle shaft.
Those little tabs **** me right off. Ive had the adjusters back off 2 times now eating up 2 sets of gears and bearings. Ive read that GM came out with a different type of locking tab with a new part number.. I found it in here a couple times doing a search.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

So the updated tab will work in the 06-older diffs?

I know the driver's side tab is external and has a separate bolt to hold it in place, while the passenger side is in the case itself and must be bent to lock the adjuster on that side. Does the drill-and-tap method mentioned earlier drill through the tab or though the case? I'm trying to visualize how that could work. Sounds good though, as a "pin" type connection should work much better than a rickety bendable tab.

Also, i read on another forum that Timken makes carrier bearings for the 8.25" diff... definitely will be going with these.

I also found a swap thread on putting a 9.25" from the HD in the 1500s but it looked like a lot of effort was needed to make it work. He was able to use the stock axles which is a good thing. Someone should try to make a kit that swaps directly in. Any takers?
Old 07-30-2010, 05:39 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be keeping my eye on this thread and doing some searching for the updated adjuster locks, as I'm sure this is what's wrong with my front diff, I have all of the symptoms, including a **** ton of metal on the drain plug magnet last time I checked it. My truck had around 59K when I diagnosed mine, and has only seen limited 4x4 use in the winter, although I have been using 4x4 for launch traction lately while observing where my converter flashes to.

I'd like to put a parts list together for a front diff rebuild if possible...might be time to upgrade to some 4.10's
Old 07-30-2010, 06:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I'll be keeping my eye on this thread and doing some searching for the updated adjuster locks, as I'm sure this is what's wrong with my front diff, I have all of the symptoms, including a **** ton of metal on the drain plug magnet last time I checked it. My truck had around 59K when I diagnosed mine, and has only seen limited 4x4 use in the winter, although I have been using 4x4 for launch traction lately while observing where my converter flashes to.

I'd like to put a parts list together for a front diff rebuild if possible...might be time to upgrade to some 4.10's
Like u, always lookin for more ways to spend cash!4.10s have been on my mind lately too, and my "Service 4WD" lite keeps comin on...noticed a blown axle seal again last nite...
Old 10-07-2010, 02:21 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any new news on the updated carrier locks?
Old 04-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Did a search for info on front axle bearings and came upon this thread. When I updated my 03's Sss front brakes to the 05+ I saw the drivers side AWD differential case seal had some sweat and had some play. When I come to a stop (on the brakes or rolling) around 20mph to 5 mph I hear a rotational rubbing/grinding in the front on that drivers side. I see there was some kind of "update/upgrade" done to the AWD units in 07sh. Since I'm laid off this week I'd like to get the front rebuild kit (by a good Co) and do this update so it doesn't ned to be redone in 30-50k miles. Suggestions on where to buy that has the update?
Old 04-12-2011, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Any new news on the updated carrier locks?
I looked for a few hours before and never found it again. My front diff has been on the bench for over a year because I dont feel like wasting more money on it.

Quick Reply: Front axle (8.25") carrier bearings