Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

front diff cooked?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front diff cooked?

my truck has been making a growling/howling noise for a while now, sounded like a wheel bearing but i changed the front diff oil and found this on the drain plug. i've read a bit of metal is normal but this much? maybe carrier or pinion bearing?
Attached Thumbnails front diff cooked?-drain-plug.jpg   front diff cooked?-drain-plug2.jpg  
Old 04-30-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Unfortunately the front differentials are not the most durable in GM 1/2 tons. Usually it's the carrier bearing lock plates that fail (lock tabs break off) and let the bearings loosen up and they start to eat themselves. I believe any time you rebuild an 8.25" front diff you should replace the carrier bearing adjuster lock plates. As easily as they fail, bending the lock tab back and forth just seems like a recipe for disaster.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:27 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine looked worse than that last time I changed it, and it was noisy too...I actually diagnosed the noise from the front end the day that the trans blew. Add front diff to the list...I've heard of the carrier bearing retainers breaking...does the ring and pinion get eaten also, or can they survive the carnage. I'd think that with the carrier rocking around the ring and pinion would be wiped out too...
Old 05-01-2010, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn, guess i'll pull it out tomorrow and see what's toast
Old 05-01-2010, 01:50 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by orange1500hd
damn, guess i'll pull it out tomorrow and see what's toast
Good luck man, I feel your pain...least I'll know what I'm in for. If I can find a low mile pullout with 3.73's I may go that route if it's cheap enough...or this may be a good time to step up to 4.10's
Old 05-01-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is exactly the reason I keep a spare lying around, that and a spare transfer-case. My wife thinks I'm crazy for having stuff just setting around, but if something happens I can be back on the road in a couple of hours.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1Bear
This is exactly the reason I keep a spare lying around, that and a spare transfer-case. My wife thinks I'm crazy for having stuff just setting around, but if something happens I can be back on the road in a couple of hours.
ya its a good idea! best part is that u know u wont need it if u have a spare...it"ll always be what u dont have that breaks!
Old 05-01-2010, 07:53 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by 1Bear
Definitely a good idea if you can swing it...wish I had a spare front diff hanging where my spare tire used to be
Old 05-01-2010, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

How many miles/km are on the truck? Mine didn't look anything like that, just a few small hints of shavings.

Ron's Machining Service will have the best price on those parts. I would just start over with a master install kit and new ring gear.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

If that was the first time it was changed you will always see filings on the magnetic. If it has been changed already it very well possible you could have a bearing failure.

Quick Reply: front diff cooked?