Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Front diff whine under cruise and decel, not on accel

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front diff whine under cruise and decel, not on accel

having a front diff whine on my AWD denali from the day i bought it used and seems to be getting worse with the cold weather. i know it is the front diff because i did have the front drive shaft out of the truck to dyno it and on the road there was absolutly no noise.

it only whines under cruise past 30mph or so a decel, it has never bothered me before but now its getting loud enough to hear it over where i would normaly have the radio now.

how many people have had problems with the front diffs on these AWD trucks??

who has one for sale??
Old 12-01-2008, 12:04 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My s10blazer 4x4 would actually do that. I chaulked it up to the front differential not disengaging all the way.
Doesn't make much sense on an AWD unless the front Diff has the ability to disengage.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:05 AM
Fastest D1 Procharged Truck

my guess is its probably the bearing were the front half shafts bolt up to i had that problem with my old truck when it was in 4WD PITA to fix have to pull the front diff to get in there
Old 12-01-2008, 12:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by twolow02fransen
my guess is its probably the bearing were the front half shafts bolt up to i had that problem with my old truck when it was in 4WD PITA to fix have to pull the front diff to get in there

does not sound like a bearing noise, bearing noises are consistant with speed, this is a howl/whine and varies, and with the drive shaft from the t-case to the front diff was out of the truck, it made no noise what so ever.

also no leaks either
Old 12-01-2008, 12:49 AM
Fastest D1 Procharged Truck

maybe its the gears then
Old 12-01-2008, 12:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by twolow02fransen
maybe its the gears then

im leaning towards that but i want to see who else maybe had a problem like this, id rather not buy a front diff assembly if i dont have to, this is my first AWD truck so i just want to make sure.

if i get some time ill get a set of chassis ears on it and really see where the noise is from but now the weather is shitty around here
Old 12-01-2008, 07:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have an AWD Escalade and have had the same front noise problem for the last 60K miles. It is usually louder in the winter and becomes quieter when coasting and loudest when in constant throttle. At higher speeds it is less noticeable. I always thought it was just drive train noise. When I checked the wheel bearings and I did not find anything wrong.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gordy M
I have an AWD Escalade and have had the same front noise problem for the last 60K miles. It is usually louder in the winter and becomes quieter when coasting and loudest when in constant throttle. At higher speeds it is less noticeable. I always thought it was just drive train noise. When I checked the wheel bearings and I did not find anything wrong.
I kind of think this might be normal but I hope not, its the same noise as you described,
Old 12-01-2008, 09:01 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having noise from my front diff that gets worse in 4wd. I can hear it also in 2wd, but it's not as prominent. In 4wd it seems to make more noise while driving slowly with my foot on the gas, but I also hear it on decel. Can't seem to hear it while cruising though, but I have alot of other noises from the exhaust and air intake that may cancel it out. I found alot of metal on the drain plug when I changed the fluid last fall...I was investigating it this year when my trans blew and became my first truck priority. I listened with a stethoscope and the truck running in the air in 4wd. I heard loud noise from the l/s carrier bearing area and the pinion bearing area, but the r/s and middle was quiet.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a whine in my front with decel and light cruise. Recently changed the front wheel bearings, common issue and no more whine. I had the wheel off doing brakes and just spun the front axle and could hear the bearings grinding. Also had some play in it. Only 75k miles on the truck.

I also have a low mile (approx 45k miles) front diff with 3:73's I'd let go.

Quick Reply: Front diff whine under cruise and decel, not on accel