Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Front diff whine under cruise and decel, not on accel

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 09:42 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KySilverado
I also have a low mile (approx 45k miles) front diff with 3:73's I'd let go.
If you still have it when I'm done paying for my trans I may be interested...but it'll probably be gone by then. FWIW, my truck only has 59k
Old 12-01-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a whine in my front with decel and light cruise. Recently changed the front wheel bearings, common issue and no more whine. I had the wheel off doing brakes and just spun the front axle and could hear the bearings grinding. Also had some play in it. Only 75k miles on the truck.

I also have a low mile (approx 45k miles) front diff with 3:73's I'd let go.
its a 4wd unit though right??
Old 12-01-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lafnlt1
its a 4wd unit though right??
Yes. 4wd

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...wheel+bearings
Old 12-01-2008, 11:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

damn, cant use it, need a AWD unit
Old 12-01-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

keep in mind too, i have the front shaft out from between the t-case and diff and there was no noise, if it was bearing noise, it would still be there because they are aways under load
Old 12-01-2008, 11:35 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lafnlt1
keep in mind too, i have the front shaft out from between the t-case and diff and there was no noise, if it was bearing noise, it would still be there because they are aways under load
Yea, it sounds like you narrowed yours down to the diff...me too because I heard it with the stethoscope, and the noise doesn't change pitch when turning which a wheel bearing will do.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Yea, it sounds like you narrowed yours down to the diff...me too because I heard it with the stethoscope, and the noise doesn't change pitch when turning which a wheel bearing will do.

i think so too, i can understand a tiny bit of noise bit this is alot, just wanted to see how many other people have had this problem or something similar
Old 12-01-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I will look it up at the shop tomorrow. I had a customer complaining about the same thing on a denali SUV GM released a updated driveshaft that has a harmonic dampener on it to kill out the sound I think you are hearing. It was not cheap but it did fix his complaint and he was more than happy to drop the bank for it. His was an 2002
Old 12-01-2008, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

Check you're tires diameter. A slight difference between the front and rear tires will load the front diff and make it wine. If the tires arn't identical as far as brand,wear, or size the front diff will make noise. Gm has a procedure to check this you mark all four tires then drive forward 6 or more rotations. If the marks don't line up it can cause you're problem.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry to hear your problem but it's very common. I just had my front end rebuilt for $1100. I had the same symptoms as your describing and it just got louder and louder. The carrier bearing adjustment nut lock broke and the nut backed off and took everything out. The case was salvageable, barely. Mine isn't the first one this has happened to, mostly on the drivers side bearing. I don't think this is your problem but you will most likely need a rebuild and your gears are almost definitely toast. I suggest changing your fluid. That will tell you quickly the condition your front end is in. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Front diff whine under cruise and decel, not on accel