Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Front drop method.... Pros/cons???

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 07:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front drop method.... Pros/cons???

I want to drop my truck. Im tired of the huge fender gaps I have. Is it best to get the McGaughy spindles?? Or will I be alright if I buy some Western Chassis coils? Does it really matter what I use?? I cant find the McG spindles seperate. And I dont want to but a whole drop kit when I dont need it. I have the shackles on and the hangers in a box in my room.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I talked with McGaughys last week and was told they are now selling the spindles by themselves again. Seems so many people were calling to buy just the spindles that they have relented and you don't have to buy their springs too. Good deal.

Spindles are the only way to go for torsion bar front ends, don't know about sprung front ends....I'm sure those guys will chime in.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Naked AV
I talked with McGaughys last week and was told they are now selling the spindles by themselves again. Seems so many people were calling to buy just the spindles that they have relented and you don't have to buy their springs too. Good deal.

Spindles are the only way to go for torsion bar front ends, don't know about sprung front ends....I'm sure those guys will chime in.
Dam. Guess ill have to call them up. How much do they cost anyway?? Like 300 bucks?
Old 02-08-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Veteran

I think I paid $229 or $239 (or something like that) a year and a half ago. Probably gone up since then.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Veteran

I think I paid $229 or $239 (or something like that) a year and a half ago. Probably gone up since then.
*****. Are springs that bad if I decide to use them?? My dad can get a hellatious deal on Hotchkis coils..
Old 02-08-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would get the Hotchkis. I have DT coils and the ride isn't that much different than stock. I think the stock ride is to "spongy" anyway.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Veteran

If you have coils in front, you should be fine with the Hotchkis drop coils. It's the torsion bar guys that really have to get spindles in order to not screw up their ride quality.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:59 PM
TECH Veteran

If you have coils in front, you should be fine with the Hotchkis drop coils. It's the torsion bar guys that really have to get spindles in order to not screw up their ride quality.
I got ya. I just wondered if it springs were a bad way to go. Guess ill give the Hotch coils a shot. What about the Western Chassis coils?? I hear good stuff about them.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Now you're out of my league. I would suggest posting over in the FullSizeChevy.com forums, in the 'Street' section....lots of guys with experience droppin', slammin', baggin', etc.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stay away from Western Chassis. Really.

The Hotchkis coil will give you a performance ride. The spring rate is significantly higher than a stock coil. You may like it better that way, you may not.

Spindles on the other hand will not change your ride characteristics at all- it will just be lower. I think this is the way to go. If you decide you want a stiffer ride, get shocks and a big sway bar.

Quick Reply: Front drop method.... Pros/cons???