Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Front end problems after Hotchkis TVS...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 11:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would question the alignment shop. there is no way you alignment is right. did they say it was close to right or it was as the best they could do? could have a bent spindle or control arm
Old 09-23-2007, 11:32 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

gonna try to get it down to a guy in Forest Park that's been doing cablebandit's for awhile...per Jerry, the guy seems to know his shizzle...not just know how to read what the computer says...
could the front wheel wells bottoming out on the taller tires right after the lowering have bent the contol arms or spindles? I would've thought the tires or inner fender wells would have taken the brunt end of that...
Old 09-23-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

that would not have bent them. i only through that out ther cause my brother bought a f150 from a local bank and had problems with it doing the same thing. come to find out the truck had been hit on the right side and it bent the spindle causing the tired to wear uneven. after he had it aligned 2 or 3 times, he brought it to me and i found it. then i put it an a alignment rack and found that there was no way to get the alignment 100% right on it. they had just got it as good as they could. thet did not they to find out why it would not align like it was suppose to
Old 09-23-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like your camber is setup a little too much for handling. This reminds me of what happens to Sentra SE-R's with their factory camber settings...
Old 09-23-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not a suspension expert but it looks like you have excessive negative camber. Like Hydramatic said, negative camber is great for improved handling but it prematurely wears the inside of tires (very similar to the pic you posted of your tires). Stand directly in front of your truck and look at the front tires. Are the tires perfectly vertical or does the top of tire tilt inwards? I dunno if this helps but it's a suggestion. Good luck!!
Old 09-23-2007, 05:24 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I went thru 2 sets of tires before the drop w/o any wear issues at all...60-70k miles each set...Cooper Discoverer's...
when I did the Hotchkis drop, which keep in mind, is all springs...and went with the Toyo Proxes ST's is when I started having issues...not that either of those two things had anything to do with it...that's just when I started having wear issues...
I have ruined 3 sets of front tires now due to this problem...I really thought that the new ball joints and control arm bushings were going to fix it...
Old 09-24-2007, 11:17 AM
11 Second Truck Club

comments and suggestions greatly appreciated...
Old 09-24-2007, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would say that it was not aligned right. I would get it aligned with new tires to factory specs. My Nittos are wearing perfectly with my TVS kit.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i am not a suspension expert or anything, but everyone i know that has lowered their front end with springs has the same problem. it seems that lowering with springs gives you camber issues that lead to this wear. whenever i decide to lower the front of my truck i am going to use spindles instead of springs so that i can avoid any problems with suspension geometry. again, im not saying that this is causing you problems, but i think it is worth a try....... good luck!!
Old 09-24-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Superado
I went thru 2 sets of tires before the drop w/o any wear issues at all...60-70k miles each set...Cooper Discoverer's...
when I did the Hotchkis drop, which keep in mind, is all springs...and went with the Toyo Proxes ST's is when I started having issues...not that either of those two things had anything to do with it...that's just when I started having wear issues...
I have ruined 3 sets of front tires now due to this problem...I really thought that the new ball joints and control arm bushings were going to fix it...
Like everyone else is saying I think it is an alignment problem. It looks like you have way too much negative camber or possibly toe-in. A place like Tire Discounters can give you print-out of your alignment specs to compare to the factory settings. I didn't see posted anywhere how many miles it takes to ruin your tires but I had a set of F1 Supercars on the front of my car that wore to the cords in about 11k miles because the negative camber was set too aggressively for street driving.

Quick Reply: Front end problems after Hotchkis TVS...