Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

front suspension limiters

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 06:50 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default front suspension limiters

i made a set, not real prety and dam my truck is dirty underneath

anyway, here are some pic's, i have them set of minimum restricition right now. figured i would start there and then tighten them up. i may need to add a gusset but i dont think there is much force there so i will try it like it is for now.

i have about 1/2" of extra studd so i can move up the bump stop and then i have a set of taller bump stops too so i can really restrict it if i want.

going for a test run here in a little bit. i would be suprized if i picked up any 60 but if it is smoother i will be happy. smoother first, then some stickier tires.

pics >> http://www.neufamily.org/images/frontendlimit/

Old 12-24-2004, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks nice. I would gusset them with a little triangle just to be safe though. I bet those torsion bars have some strength to 'em.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:11 PM
single digit dreamer

yeah, i might do that before i roll. after looking at the pic's i decided it needed to be tighter so i shimed the bump stop a little. probably go gusset it before i go for a test drive, it fells strong and all but just doesn't look like enough.

Old 12-24-2004, 08:00 PM
single digit dreamer

woohoo, if feels much better. i made about 10 short pulls near my house and they were all in the mid or lower 1.8's. best of 1.80. i am still spining but it is much more controled. lifts a little and goes. did one 0-60 and got a 1.85 60' and 3.65sec 0-60.

it drives fine so i am going to tighten them up some more and see what happens. i wish i had some metal i would go ahead an make the traction bars for the rear.

i am spining quite a bit still, i think consistant 1.6's are in the bag with tires. no nitrous.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Looks like a good idea. Did you ever think about swapping the shocks out with solid rods with rubber bushings? It would limmit the front to within just 1/2" of travel.

Just for track use only of course.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Also, take some before and after measurements for the limmiters. Like at the fender well ride hight, then lifted till the tire starts to leave the ground.

After the limmiter is adjusted remeasure. Just so we know how well it works.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:15 AM
single digit dreamer

whoa!! just pulled a 1.73 60' on cold firejunks, it is about 25deg out there.

i like the limiters, i can't feel them at all just driving around. when i hammer it out of the hole it peals out like mad but it isn't violent so i just stay in it an woohoo, pull a prety good 60' for as cold as it it. i am going to post up some screen shots in the 408 report post.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:30 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pretty good idea if you ask me.....what gauge steel are you using?
Old 12-25-2004, 12:35 AM
single digit dreamer

not sure, i think it was 3/16" or so. i went for a ride before i put in the gussets and it bent them a little right away. doh!

i put in some 1/4" steel gussets on eash side of the pad, it turned out prety ugly but it should be strong.

i am really suprized at how tight i have them and i can't feel them just driving around, i cant even really feel them when i floor it other than the truck just doesn't lift as much, no harsh stop or anything like that.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:43 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder if there is a market for those....Might want to look into it. I think thicker gauge steel may be needed, I wonder how much TQ those are getting off the line.

Quick Reply: front suspension limiters