Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Front Suspension Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put some grease in the bushings for the shocks. Jack up the truck with out any load on the suspension, and lube the entire front end.

If it keeps on, I'm guessing it's the shocks, or some loose bolts. Try going up the same ramps/driveways. Hang out the window and watch the front tires as the go over the bumps, look for lateral movement (side to side action) in the tires
Old 04-25-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going back over to 01Thunders house this evening so we can jack it up and look at it and lube it up some. It was making the noise again when I went to lunch. I need to check to see if the drivers side front shock is loose again anyways.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any update on the squeaks?
Old 04-26-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah. Went over to Daniels last night. It is definitely not the shocks. We are thinking that when I had the alignment done, they messed with something. When we took the drivers side tire off, the bolts on the top of the upper A-arm were a tad loose, we think that this was causing the rubber bushings between the a-arm and the frame to rub and cause the noise, we loosened them up some more and greased them up real good and torqued everything back down. And this could explain the ill ride. I didn't notice how bouncy it had become until the drive home last night and it was improved. Torqued all the bolts for the shock down too. Put the tire back on, and pushed on the bumper and it still creaked so we were stumped.

But on the drive home from his house and in to work this morning, it seems to be 90% gone. I can still push on the bumper and hear it very slightly, but it is much improved. I didn't hear it but once while driving and that was pulling into a steep parking lot. The front suspension has to flex a lot to make the noise now. Maybe the grease just needed to get worked into the bushings.

A big thanks goes out to 01Thunder for the assist on figuring out the noise.