Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Fuddle Converter Issues...Other Options...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 11:01 PM
formerly Moze (2/24/2012)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuddle Converter Issues...Other Options...?

It appears as if the Fuddle converter I bought about 7 months ago is having issues. I took it to Jerry'S Transmissions today (Garland, TX) and the mysterious noise that has been getting worse and worse is the converter chattering at lock-up. Tap the brake, the chattering stops - thus his diagnosis. Soooo...

Not sure if Fuddle is going to honor the warranty or not, so just kind of looking ahead....

I've done a little searching on here, but thought I'd just post the question. Not many guys are running the Hughes converters, but they seem to have a solid reputation. And I can get one for right at $400 from Summit (2500 stall).

Everyone seems to like the Yanks, but the few people that DID have problems seemed to have horrible results with trying to get them to honor the warranty. So that concerns me. Price is right at $500 with shipping.

Jerry (Jerry's Transmissions) recommended Performance Torque Converters out of Kennedale, TX. Price is $500.

There are a couple others I've looked at/am looking at (Art Carr, Edge, etc.). So I'm looking for some input from you guys...

P.S. I'm not paying $900 for a P.I.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:27 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im either going to sell my Fuddle and get a PI and do my 80e swap anyway or Im going to get them to build me one of their badass billet converters. IMO go with a PI and be done with it.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:36 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Run Ptc Verters Right Now And I Am Working With Them To Do A Triple Disc Swap.they Gave Me One Price And Now Giving Me Another Price So I May Go With Fyare Pi Don't Know.
Ptc Is Not A Bad Verter Just Pissed Me Off After I Bought 2 Of Them They Want To Charge Me To Convert To Triple Disc What Fuddle Sell Them For
Old 01-07-2007, 09:04 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

I have seen and heard way to many issues with the fuddle's. I know you said that you don't want to spend the money for the vig, but it is well worth it. Just my opinion. The vig tc's have been the best I have ever seen. Keep in mind our customers use all of the brands on the market. The Vig has had the best results with next to no issues. I wish I could say that for some of the others. Good luck to you and if there is anything we can do for you feel free to contact Chuck or myself. Vince
Old 01-07-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I know there have been issues with Fuddle before. But I've also heard it was because of some health problems. I called John earlier this week to ask him about towing with my Fuddle. He wasn't there but I left a message and he returned my call within 20 minutes. I told him I wanted to tow about 5k from Ca to Tx and he said it would be pushing its limit and it may last. If not, he would warranty it.

After hearing this, I don't foresee you having a problem with the warranty. Do you still have the stocker for temp use?
Old 01-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If he is that unsure about it I wouldnt do it, that would suck to get stuck in AZ or NM, I towed abour 3K with my Fuddle converter form northern AL to Austin, TX with no issues. Just get a BIG trans cooler and you will be fine.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by JRsilverado
I know there have been issues with Fuddle before. But I've also heard it was because of some health problems. I called John earlier this week to ask him about towing with my Fuddle. He wasn't there but I left a message and he returned my call within 20 minutes. I told him I wanted to tow about 5k from Ca to Tx and he said it would be pushing its limit and it may last. If not, he would warranty it.

After hearing this, I don't foresee you having a problem with the warranty. Do you still have the stocker for temp use?

I still have the stock one but don't want to pay twice to remove and reinstall the tranny. I'll see what John says about the warranty and go from there. If he warranties it, I'll send it in one of the weeks I'm out of town and hopefully it'll be back by the time I am.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
I have seen and heard way to many issues with the fuddle's. I know you said that you don't want to spend the money for the vig, but it is well worth it. Just my opinion. The vig tc's have been the best I have ever seen. Keep in mind our customers use all of the brands on the market. The Vig has had the best results with next to no issues. I wish I could say that for some of the others. Good luck to you and if there is anything we can do for you feel free to contact Chuck or myself. Vince

What would your second choice be after the Vig? Can't swing $900.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Moze
What would your second choice be after the Vig? Can't swing $900.
Why not a Yank? They definantly have a solid reputation
Old 01-07-2007, 03:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Lately the Fuddle problems are mounting. Seeing more and more every week it seems!

Quick Reply: Fuddle Converter Issues...Other Options...?