Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Fuddle installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuddle installed

I finished installing my Fuddle last night and took it for a test drive and to check the tranny fluid, my question is, does a new tc have a "new" smell to it and how can you tell if the tc or trans is slipping?? Well the tc is very loose for one so it feals like the trans is slipping but I don't think so. The trans got rebuilt last year and I've put about 1800 miles on it. The "smell" issue is that it might smell like the cluthes are slipping but then again.....I can't tell. If the cluthes are slipping, the smell would be very distinctive or strong.?.?. Now, with the tc loose like it is, would this cause the cluthes to slip and get burned up??? The tc I ordered is the HP street series and the stall is a 3800 and flashes to 4200. I got this size converter because I'm going to run a fairly large sized cam in my application. Oh, another thing. When the tc locks-up in 3rd and especially 4th, the tc makes a finned sound.....This sucks!!!!! It's so hard to discribe!!! Anyways, any other than the above stated, this thing is f'n sweet!!! The shifts, the brake stall and the flash stall is awsome as hell!! I just read in another thread that your suppost to take it easy on the tc's for awhile.....oop's!! Can anybody help with any suggestions or comments???

Thanks for ya'lls time!!

James
Old 07-02-2006, 03:01 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3800 Stall torque converter is slipping until your RPM's are over 3800 or your converter locks in top gear. You'll know when it locks.

As for the smell, could it be some trans fluid on the engine burning?
Cant help with the sound, my converter doesn't make any noticable sounds at all.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like stall is way to much.

THATS A HUGE BITCH!
Old 07-02-2006, 08:07 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Smell is coming from **** oyu go ton the exhaust with your greasy hands. No smell should come from the tc unless the front seal is leaking tranny fluid. A 3800 is going to feel loose compared to your old 2500 what did you expect? I told you it was going to feel looser and well it sounds like it is. Higher stall speed comes with some trade-offs. Hows the trans temps doing?
Old 07-02-2006, 08:32 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by EDawg

THATS A HUGE BITCH!

I told him this before he even ordered it, but hey nobody listens to the guy that has been there and done that.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:46 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 02White6.0
I told him this before he even ordered it, but hey nobody listens to the guy that has been there and done that.
Quick is having good results with his PI 3800. He is going to be running a 230*+ cam, milled DART heads for a 10.5CR, LS6 intake with 4.56 gears and possibly a trans brake when they become available shortly, and if I recall you were running a low 230 cam in an LQ9? Your stuff fell on its face cause you didnt have the cam or gear for the stall you had his combo will be just right IMO. You just gotta have right setup obviously you didnt.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:20 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Quick is having good results with his PI 3800. He is going to be running a 230*+ cam, milled DART heads for a 10.5CR, LS6 intake with 4.56 gears and possibly a trans brake when they become available shortly, and if I recall you were running a low 230 cam in an LQ9? Your stuff fell on its face cause you didnt have the cam or gear for the stall you had his combo will be just right IMO. You just gotta have right setup obviously you didnt.

That was part of my problem, that and one of the better big LS1 builders highly advised not to go with such a big cam becuase a heavy truck will just not benefit from it no matter what the setup be.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trever1t
3800 Stall torque converter is slipping until your RPM's are over 3800 or your converter locks in top gear. You'll know when it locks.

As for the smell, could it be some trans fluid on the engine burning?
Cant help with the sound, my converter doesn't make any noticable sounds at all.
I understand the slipping until my rpm's are above the 3800, I just didn't want the clutches to slip either. This is what my biggest fear was!! I just wanted to make sure that I'm on the same page as anyone else. The trans fluid and stuff like that burned off fairly quick and that **** stinks!!LOL! The sound that it was making sounds like it's having problems locking up in 4th gear @ crusing speeds. It's more noticable in 4th gear.

Thank you,

James
Old 07-02-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by EDawg

THATS A HUGE BITCH!
Yeah, you should drive it!!! It's a blast!!
Old 07-02-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Smell is coming from **** oyu go ton the exhaust with your greasy hands. No smell should come from the tc unless the front seal is leaking tranny fluid. A 3800 is going to feel loose compared to your old 2500 what did you expect? I told you it was going to feel looser and well it sounds like it is. Higher stall speed comes with some trade-offs. Hows the trans temps doing?
I know some of it is the trans fluid and stuff like this but it's different.......and the front seal isn't leaking, I already checked that!!! I know it's going to feel loose........like your girlfriend after I'm done with her!!!!LOL!!!! JK!! The trans temp runs real high, like I was playing around with the truck last night and the temp got to 252 degrees!!! I drove it around until it went down. I haven't installed the new and bigger trans cooler yet but I'm going to tomorrow. I'll let you know what they are in the near future.

As always, thank you Mr. know it all!!!!

James

Quick Reply: Fuddle installed