Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

fuuuuuuuuu..... truck still stuck in LIMP MODE.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuuuuuuuuu..... truck still stuck in LIMP MODE.

okay so here is the deal, the truck is still stuck in limp mode. At first I would have a delay to engage, now its just delays, and goes straight to 2 on the gear selector on the cluster. No matter what forward gear it goes to 2 and just revs... I have to turn the truck OFF, for it to act normal, and drive for about 1 min. I notice on morning it will run fine for 2-3 mins before it gets warmed up. Then Ill have to turn it off and limp it again.

Truck is a 01 Tahoe with a 4l80e swapped. method using the relay single no pmw. I even replaced the relay, went over and rewired and verified it was correct, and soldered all connections up properly.

truck still does the same limp mode problem. I doubt its the tranny fluid is full, smells good, and it hauls *** when I get it to run after the restarting.

I even went ahead and replaced both front 02 sensors with new ones today, truck runs better, but same problem with limp mode.

The TPS sensor in the truck is about 2 -3 months old, doubt its bad.

I have not changed the VSS yet in the tail of the tranny cause my speedo still works, but Ill try swap them and see..

Other than that Im at wits end. WTF could it be?
Old 03-17-2013, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

You have to have a few codes deleted
Old 03-17-2013, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by UnVmy5.3
You have to have a few codes deleted
lol, I did, its been street tuned by a professional, drove fine for 2 years after that.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:49 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

when you do the relay mod you need to delete a few more codes on the tranny side so the tests never run..... i forgot which ones but the tests/codes must be deleted inorder to run the relay mod.... That is probably your problems
Old 03-18-2013, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
when you do the relay mod you need to delete a few more codes on the tranny side so the tests never run..... i forgot which ones but the tests/codes must be deleted inorder to run the relay mod.... That is probably your problems
It was, it has, unless my PCM retuned it self, it should still retain the deletion of all trans related codes. It was like 4 parameters he removed.

Originally Posted by sleeperlqx
lol, I did, its been street tuned by a professional, drove fine for 2 years after that.

Yea, trucks been JUST FINE for 2 years.... I went I recheck everything and it was fine, and still is. just stomped. I got the Fluke out the closet today, and going to investigate deeper. I think I burnt up some wires somewhere. and Im not sure if it was internally.

Im not sure if a failing MAF sensor put it into limp mode? I replaced a VSS with a spear I had last night, and the truck ran better, untill I made it out the garage then acted up again. So had to restart it, and drive it back inside.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
are you suggesting, my PCM flashed itself somehow, and lost programing? or maybe my PCM is fried at this point and lost everything? which I doubt cause my engine sitll hauls *** when not in limp. I almost did a burnout in reverse.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:37 AM
TECH Resident

I verified good voltage at tranny harness. good ground as well. both at relay as well. So the problem has to be tranny or pcm. Truck has same symptoms as before. Once warmed up for about 1 min it goes into limp mode gear selector switches to 2 automatically, and truck just free revs, in Drive and Reverse. But turn the truck off, and all Rev, and drive is back. The Gear selector when switched to D or 1 does not illuminate either, if I start moving, driving in Drive then the D will illuminate.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

So I unplugged the harness, and placed the truck in reverse and drive, and It works untill warmed up as usual. Then both reverse and 2nd gear went out. Till I restarted it.

Has to be the transmission right? no electrical was hooked up except the neutral saftey switch.

Looks like its time for a new converter and tranny.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:46 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it should have reverse and 2nd gear with teh transmission unplugged.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

thanks for the confirmation... pulling that sucker in a few mins, should be out this weekend.

Quick Reply: fuuuuuuuuu..... truck still stuck in LIMP MODE.