Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

G80???

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not so much a factor of power that breaks these things, it's how much traction you've got between the tires and the road while still getting wheelspin. The more traction the more torque the mechanism has to deal with. The G80 works by spreading pressure against the end from within against carbon fiber clutches on both sides. The lockup mechanism is self-energized, meaning it gets it power from the torque it's dealing with. The mechanism that applies the pressure is like a ramp. It gets energy when there is enough slippage to fling out a centrifugal counterweight which then engages it. Until that difference in RPM between right and left is reduced enough to stop the pawl from engaging it will continue to apply torque to that ramp gear to make the clutches tighter. So, as horsepower increases, so does the forces against the housing to achieve lockup - it all works together to eventually explode them violently.

(Thank you for giving me an excuse to post some of my favorite pictures)

The difference between how the G80 and a true Limited Slip differential works is that a G80 responds to wheel slippage. The G80 only works after traction to a wheel has been lost. A Limited Slip gets tighter in proportion to the amount of torque load on it - LSDs actually PREVENT traction loss in the first place.

The G80 has absolutely no place in a performance truck. It is totally the wrong type of mechanism for the desired performance results.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:23 PM
Truck addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn. now that is a shredded g80. i thought kenny's was bad. that is just total annialation.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Id say that ones broke

a damn good explanation too james
Old 02-06-2005, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn, that was totally detroyed! I would say that means go with aftermarket.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok guys, bare with me, I'm still confused as to which eaton differentials you guys are buying. Is it a limited slip or an e-locker?? dont they do the same thing except the e-locker you have to lock it first?? THANKS!!
Old 02-07-2005, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think most people here have the limited slip eaton or auburn

if I understand the e locker correctly
some kind of electric solenoid locks it and it stays locked with the flip of a switch
Old 02-07-2005, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who said anything about an E-locker? Those are for rock crawling or some other such low-speed nonsense. They won't even function above a certain speed.

The only Eaton product for a performance street truck is the Eaton Posi Limited Slip differential. (NOT the factory "locking" G80!)
Old 02-09-2005, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Which sponsors carry eaton or auburn diffs??
Old 02-09-2005, 01:03 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by James B.
Who said anything about an E-locker? Those are for rock crawling or some other such low-speed nonsense. They won't even function above a certain speed.

The only Eaton product for a performance street truck is the Eaton Posi Limited Slip differential. (NOT the factory "locking" G80!)
You can only engagge it at low speeds. But you can engage it at the starting line or before the burnout box and leave it locked all the way down the track. I think they would do okay in drag racing to a certain extent although they dont replace the use of a detroit locker. They are fairly new, so we will have to wait for somebody to try it. I know there where people using the air lockers for drag with success, the e-locker should be no different.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Under a drivetrain warranty, is there a way to upgrade? I don't want them sticking another G80 in there. If so, is the Auburn Pro LS the way to go?

Quick Reply: G80???