Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

G80 blew, truck spun out... carnage!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 05:18 PM
hog
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whitt1
Are you sure the G80 blew out?They aren't a true posi and don't lockup after about 15 to 20 mph,it may have just released it's lockup while you were hard on the gas causing the truck try to straighten up from it's drift.Either way you need a good posi,go with the Eaton posi or an Auburn Pro and then,next time you'll back it into the curb because neither one will release it's engagement.
Actually they lock up when there is a difference of more than 100 rpm between the axles, they also release over 30 mph. It realeses so the truck isnt influenced by the locked reaend in long gentle curves on the highway. I had a powertrax Lockrite and the truck wanted to go straight on the highway thru long curves, the locker fought my steering inputs.

At the drags I see lots of the G80's unlock while doing burnouts and 1 wheel comes to a stop with the other 1 still burning.

Check out the Detroit True trac, its really beefy. (pics)
http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1545

It is like the Torsen rearend GM used in the F-bodies for a while.

Good luck with that, I doubt the Dealership will do anything, except for fix broken parts, at your cost. I just installed a G80 this summer, and it is not a traction device that you want to drift or power slide with. Its a great dufferential for pulling the boat out of the water, or driving in the winter, but for performance driving/racing it sucks, but its in a truck, it was performing as it was designed to.

If this was a 2wd SS Silverado, I think you might have a case with he dealership for mechanical default. Thats too bad, that is such a nice truck.

Goodluck
Hog
Old 11-13-2005, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

good lord that is some messed up ****. make them pay.

Seth
Old 11-13-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whitt1
Are you sure the G80 blew out?They aren't a true posi and don't lockup after about 15 to 20 mph,it may have just released it's lockup while you were hard on the gas causing the truck try to straighten up from it's drift.Either way you need a good posi,go with the Eaton posi or an Auburn Pro and then,next time you'll back it into the curb because neither one will release it's engagement.
I had this happen to me on a small road and I about killed myself. Pulled out quickly to avoid traffice The g80 locked went sideways let off pedal got on it again and it didnt lock at first then it decided to and it sent me the other way. Luckily the cars coming the opposite direction stopped I left a huge S shaped skid marks from one side of the road to the other and ended up in the grass on the opposite side after crossing the center 3 times!!

Whewww grab nuts ok still there drive on.

I learned my lesson about bumpy small roads and getting giddy with the go pedal. I swear I thought my ticket was up.

sorry to hear about the bad luck I hope the G80 is gone if not I would make sure it is.
Love the rims

Last edited by 02sierraz71_5.3; 11-13-2005 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:24 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

They probably wont cover it. You have GMC side mouldings on it, so they will say the truck has been modified. J/K I think you have a chance if its still under warranty. Good luck
Old 11-13-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

that sucks royal ***!
Old 11-14-2005, 04:13 AM
TECH Resident

lets see some more carnage
Old 11-14-2005, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

that blows big time!!! Good luck with the dealer but I think you already know the answer they are going to give you...they won't cover it.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:04 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if they pull the cover and things are broken then they might cover it all. like if the g80 came apart and then parts locked up the rear causing you to slide off the road it should be covered.

if they pull the cover and the g80 is still intack that it was most likely a driving error.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

well did they cover it?
Old 11-14-2005, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

they said because i c-notched the frame, and installed aftermarket wheels they won't cover it.................. What a load of ****. No wonder gm sales are poor. People know that the warranty's don't mean anything!!!

Quick Reply: G80 blew, truck spun out... carnage!!!