Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Gain W/ 410 Gears...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 02:43 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnblu
It blows me away when I see this; 4.10s improving mileage. I guess it's due to pedal effort needed. But on HWY, that seems only downside for MPG.
Sometimes a certain cam will be a little more effecient at a lil higher RPM, thus turning a few more R's helps mileage. If the cam has a lil overlap and the O2's are seeing too much unburned fuel it will lean out a little.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MPFD
It's only like 450 rpm on a 30" tire from 3.42 to 4.11, so close enough.

http://www.race-cars.net/calculators...alculator.html

Sometimes a certain cam will be a little more effecient at a lil higher RPM, thus turning a few more R's helps mileage. If the cam has a lil overlap and the O2's are seeing too much unburned fuel it will lean out a little.
I'm gonna have to favorite. That lil calculator is handy.

Originally Posted by jiar577
I went from 3.42 to 4.11 and so far is the best mod I've done (cam/LT's/tune/etc), the truck pulls a lot harder off the line and my mileage in town went up.

On the highway @ 70mph I get like 16mpg so I lost around 4mpg with the gears but it's worth it IMO. Besides if I slow down to 65mph I get 19mpg so no big deal, I almost never drive in the highway anyway.
A 4MPG HWY hit is the worst I've seen by anybody since I've been reading on gears. Funny how just lowering your speed just 5mph gave a +3 MPG improvemt.

Originally Posted by 05RST2NV
3:73s + cruise + downshifting all the time = sucking the gas...

4:10s + cruise + no downshifting = better gas milage..

This was with heavy 20" rims and tires. Running a factory 16 and a short tire and yeah there are probably some differences.
I find w/. stall, due to effort a stall needs to move off line, it may use more gas to get it moving.
But, my general take is, I don't have to beat on it as hard, to get mine to pull to same speed as before. But it pulls so nice w/. stall, I gas it anyway.

Midrange, say from 25mph-up, requires less oomph on gas pedal, so stall may actually help me a bit.

Gas MPG may've taken a minor hit if any, but that's cause I'm utilizing my stall "spirited driving" mod. Midrange pulls way-y-y-y better.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

A 4MPG HWY hit is the worst I've seen by anybody since I've been reading on gears. Funny how just lowering your speed just 5mph gave a +3 MPG improvemt.
Well that's what the truck odo says, which isn't very accurate I know but that's what it shows on the flats, cruise control on. As soon as I hit some hills mileage seems a lot better I guess cause the truck doesn't shift down as much as someone mentioned.

City driving I gained some mileage, but overall in mixed conditions I can say my mileage is the same with 4.11 than what it was with 3.42 but I have a lot more fun now

I don't know why I get 3mpg back slowing down just 5mph, it doesn't make sense as I'd expect 1mpg back, but that's what the damn computer shows.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't have a fancy DIC to tell me what my instant MPG is. I think that came out in '05, I could be wrong. Or higher than LS model. So, I have to do math.
I wish I had that, traction control (or at least be able to turn on/off as I choose) & that signal mirror option too. Oh well.

Anyway, I consider most of my drivin as mix, or maybe CTY. I rarely take HWY (freeway), except if I take the ~50 mile to see my Mom or my sister. I almsot never go on long trips either.

FWIW, when above 45, mileage is supposed to fall off. I know EPA or gas crunchers, has the % & at what speed does this or that. From 45 to 70, they have figures somewhere.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

DIC is not very accurate in stock form and the gearing messes with it. Hand calculated is you best bet.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Regular

I don't have a fancy DIC to tell me what my instant MPG is. I think that came out in '05, I could be wrong. Or higher than LS model. So, I have to do math.
I wish I had that, traction control (or at least be able to turn on/off as I choose) & that signal mirror option too. Oh well.
Don't worry about DIC, you're not missing much IMO. Sometimes it shows say 14mpg out of a tank and the fill up at the pump says I got 12 so not very accurate. Ol math is better no way around it.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:49 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by HoveyBayou
DIC is not very accurate in stock form and the gearing messes with it. Hand calculated is you best bet.
I have it in my 03 and I find it to be right on every tank.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dlt76028
I have it in my 03 and I find it to be right on every tank.
You got a good one I guess, cause I've read they're not 100% accurate, mine included as already mentioned.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:13 PM

I went from 3.23s to 4.10s I don't know how much I gained performance wise but it was night and day and as far as performance it use to not beable to get over 105mph but now it will lay flat on 120!!!!! But mpg stayed about the same around 17mpg on the highway but way better in town!!
Old 06-12-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by juicedsierra
I went from 3.23s to 4.10s I don't know how much I gained performance wise but it was night and day... But mpg stayed about the same around 17mpg on the highway but way better in town!!
You have a newer truck w/. a 4.8, & only managed 17 on HWY when u had 3.23s? That's terrible, u must beat the **** outta it or something, to get that back then. I thought maybe u were 4wd, but couldn't tell from pic. And nowadays guys lower 4wd too.

Quick Reply: Gain W/ 410 Gears...?