Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Gear Ratio Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 01:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Ratio Question

I've been researching a lot about the re-gearing, but i had a few questions i'm hoping you all can shed some light on.

I'm debating about getting 4.56s or 4.10 During the winter i don't tow that much, but take long highway road trips to the mountains to go skiing and snowboarding. So i do a fair amount of climbing up the hills. But, during the summer i tow a lot (a 3,500 lbs boat). However, when i am towing it's usually long highway road trips to the river or the lake and some, but few, hills.

I know going with a high gear ratio will help with towing power off the line and climbing hills? But, going at ~75mph and towing down the highway i'd already be in overdrive. So wouldn't i be hurting my MPG by having a higher gear ratio considering i wouldn't "need" more towing power at 75 MPH, just to get it going. During the winter, granted i'm not towing as much but my bed is loaded with a lot of snow gear so i'm hauling a bigger load.

What would be the best for my application? As much as i would like more towing power, my towing consists of highway driving. Would the ability to have more towing power help me during highway driving and not compromise my MPG?

With all things being equal, driving style, ambient temp, octance, etc. How much of a MPG difference at highway driving is there between 4.10 and 4.56?

I also have a 6"lift with 33" tires. I plan on getting some 35" when i run down the 33's. TIA!
Old 01-17-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xsports33
I've been researching a lot about the re-gearing, but i had a few questions i'm hoping you all can shed some light on.

I'm debating about getting 4.56s or 4.10 During the winter i don't tow that much, but take long highway road trips to the mountains to go skiing and snowboarding. So i do a fair amount of climbing up the hills. But, during the summer i tow a lot (a 3,500 lbs boat). However, when i am towing it's usually long highway road trips to the river or the lake and some, but few, hills.

I know going with a high gear ratio will help with towing power off the line and climbing hills? But, going at ~75mph and towing down the highway i'd already be in overdrive. So wouldn't i be hurting my MPG by having a higher gear ratio considering i wouldn't "need" more towing power at 75 MPH, just to get it going. During the winter, granted i'm not towing as much but my bed is loaded with a lot of snow gear so i'm hauling a bigger load.

What would be the best for my application? As much as i would like more towing power, my towing consists of highway driving. Would the ability to have more towing power help me during highway driving and not compromise my MPG?

With all things being equal, driving style, ambient temp, octance, etc. How much of a MPG difference at highway driving is there between 4.10 and 4.56?

I also have a 6"lift with 33" tires. I plan on getting some 35" when i run down the 33's. TIA!
If your gonna go with 35's def. get the 4.56's , that will probably bring your final drive ratio down to like 3.73's. Your also gonna need a tune for these gears. Thats my opinion.....
Old 01-17-2007, 04:14 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

4.56's IMO.... especially with those tires... if you want something in the middle consider some 4.30's
Old 01-17-2007, 04:16 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

large tires deff 456s
Old 01-17-2007, 08:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ran 4.56 gears with 31" tall tires and drove back and forth to work over an hour away
Old 01-17-2007, 09:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by litreddevil
i ran 4.56 gears with 31" tall tires and drove back and forth to work over an hour away
How was your MPG when you were running that setup? Did you have a lift as well?
Old 01-18-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

4.56 Is what i would go with you'll be in trouble is you ever go to small tires again.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by litreddevil
I drive it everyday. 17mpg if I drive normal.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would love to have the pulling power of the 4.56s, but considering i do mostly highway driving (80-90%) i'm probably going to go with the 4.10s. Also, because my truck came with 3.42s i'll be back (actually a little better) to stock RPMs with 4.10's and 35" tires. But, while i have the 33"s i'll have much better towing capabilites.

Unless you all can convince me otherwise.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xsports33
How was your MPG when you were running that setup? Did you have a lift as well?

it was not bad at all to me

Quick Reply: Gear Ratio Question