Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

GEAR SWAP - from 3.23 to 4.10 /4.11 - what all is necessary after gears installed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are all the different things that I will notice with a tune?

Thanks for all the help guys!

Old 03-23-2011, 09:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BLUES MAN

if he's gonne leave it pretty much stock, i say go 4:56. i truly believe had i went with 4:10's i would have been dissapointed, in all seriosness it really wasnt a huge difference going from 3;42's to 4:56's.
im also running a 31'' tire.

4.56 gears with a 4.8 motor with a 4 speed automatic transmission ???
Old 03-23-2011, 12:30 PM
formerly b4vwannabe (2/4/2012)

Originally Posted by Silverado Desperado
Not sure what you mean regarding "Hate it in Drive"??? ~ Please explain, or elaborate a little more on this please...

Does it go down the highway at 70 or 75 without running too high of RPM's???

How does it feel and run without adjusting Torque Management??? I'd rather just correct the speedo if it shifts fine and shifts at the propper shift points if it is not necessary to get a full tune.
I was only referring to interstate driving. Around town, on highways, country roads, it's so much better than the 3.23s.

When cruising at 70 in D, it takes a lot of throttle for it to kick down. I would rather have it kick down a little sooner. I think it's more of a 4.8 thing(probably not a problem with a 5.3) than gears though. You know how with the 3.23s when you try to speed up, it kinda takes a few seconds for anything to happen? It's not much different. This is with a stock converter. When I get the 3K converter installed, I'm hoping this will change.

At 70, I turn about 2100RPMs.

Now, shift into 3 & it comes alive, RPMs are in the 3Ks & it will go. You push the pedal, the magnaflow growls, your head goes back. Let off the throttle, your head goes forward.

The guy that installed the gears for me builds race cars. He said I probably could have gone with 4.56s & been alright.

Hope this helps
Old 03-23-2011, 12:38 PM
Staging Lane

That makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

What happens when you drive it home after getting the gears installed before having it tuned?

Does it run and shift properly without the tune?

Do you have to get it tuned right away?

Can you drive it a little while until you get it tuned?

Old 03-23-2011, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

speed-o will be off, maybe Traction control light will come on. Even maybe ABS warnings.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:13 PM
Staging Lane

Which rear end do I have in my truck ???

2006 Silverado 1500 1/2 ton Crew Cab with 4.8 motor and 4 speed auto trans ???

Which gear am I looking for, meaning which rear end do I order it for ???

Like to go ahead and order one...I'm going to order a 4.10 / 4.11

Thanks
Old 03-23-2011, 06:36 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your truck has the 8.6" rear...

As for the tune, a BlackBear mail order tune is only $200, and he can correct the speedo for you, get more power out of your truck, and improve your fuel economy. For another $50 plus a deposit, you can get a scan cable tune where he dials it in for you after you log your truck while driving and send him the logs...
Old 03-23-2011, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Your truck has the 8.6" rear...

As for the tune, a BlackBear mail order tune is only $200, and he can correct the speedo for you, get more power out of your truck, and improve your fuel economy. For another $50 plus a deposit, you can get a scan cable tune where he dials it in for you after you log your truck while driving and send him the logs...
x2.. im on a data log tune and my truck runs like a beauty... and yes 4.10s or 4.56s.. im at 75@2300 30.5" tire
still get 19mpg on the fwy.. nothing over 75 tho
Old 03-23-2011, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

What specifically will a tune do for me with a 100% stock truck (other that the 4.10 gear) that I will not ever race? ~ No headers or cam, etc, etc in the future either...
Old 03-23-2011, 10:47 PM
formerly b4vwannabe (2/4/2012)

That makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

What happens when you drive it home after getting the gears installed before having it tuned?

Does it run and shift properly without the tune?

Do you have to get it tuned right away?

Can you drive it a little while until you get it tuned?
You can drive it without the tune. I had an ABS light & a "service brake system" warning until I got my corrected tune. It will run & shift properly, but your speedo will be off. Yes, you can drive it for a little while before you have it tuned, you'll just have to live with the ABS light & warning message.

What specifically will a tune do for me with a 100% stock truck (other that the 4.10 gear) that I will not ever race? ~ No headers or cam, etc, etc in the future either...
You're changing gears obviously for better performance. If you were satisfied with your truck, you wouldn't be changing them.
A tune will make you kick yourself for not having it done yet. Even if you never race it, a tune will make your truck much better to drive. You'll even get better gas mileage with a tune, if you can keep your foot out of the pedal. GM leaves a lot on the table with the factory tuning. They have to make a "one size fits all" type tune. I have a blackbear tune & it's the best $250 I ever spent on the truck. I just bought an Autocal from him & anytime I need something adjusted, I just email him & he sends me an updated tune. You load the tune into your Autocal, then plug the Autocal into the truck to upload the tune into the truck.

Get your gears & master install kit from Ron's, he's a sponsor on here. If you are gonna change gears, you may as well go ahead & get rid of that G80 & install a TrueTrac. I paid $575 for the gears, truetrac, & master rebuild kit; & $250 for the labor to install them. With the G80 rear end, it's not a matter of if, but when it goes out. It's kinda hit or miss with them. Some people get over 100K miles, some don't.

almost forgot, I'm running a 275/45/20 tire.

Hope this helps

Last edited by badz24s; 03-23-2011 at 10:58 PM.

Quick Reply: GEAR SWAP - from 3.23 to 4.10 /4.11 - what all is necessary after gears installed?