Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Gear swap trying to choose a new Locker

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
I know the LSD vs Trutrac has been beaten to death, but I thought the consensus was that the trutrac was better for drag racing and the LSD better in offroad conditions.
Actually I would consider the Eaton LSD to be better for straight line performance usage such as drag racing, especially if it has been equipped with the available 800lb springs. Of course the Eaton LSD and comparable units have a leg up in off-road situations as well. Where the TruTrac shines is in its seamless operation for road and track type conditions where you want to be able to apply power going through the twisty’s without the vehicle wanting to push through the corners due to the rear being locked. Of course you will also have people defend the TruTrac’s performance for off-road usage by stating you can ride the brakes to apply load so the unit will shift power to the loaded axle from the unloaded axle and this does work, but my feelings are if your intended usage includes more than the occasional foray into the wilderness you should purchase a differential more in line with what you’re intending to do with your vehicle.

For anyone intending to use the Eaton LSD with the available 800lb springs (400lb are standard), they will cause the differential to act even more like a locker during normal and especially wet weather driving conditions. This really stands out in a lighter vehicle where it may be easier to slip the tires instead of overcoming the spring pressure to unlock the clutches. The standard 400lb springs are usually adequate for most people’s intended use, even occasional strip use. Also, for those that do go ahead and step up to the 800lb springs, it is quite common for the end user to have to service the rear axle on a little sooner interval, as the clutches tend to want to stick a little more with the added pressure and the owner may notice noise or tire hop during tight turns. Frequent servicing and sometimes even the use of an additional bottle of friction modifier will eliminate these conditions.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you meant a Spool for those 800# springs.. they dont slip much at all!!

I was gonna get a rebuild kit for mine just to have in the shop and was talking to my buddy at the powertrain place. he said most people will bring them back wanting the 400# springs.

but yea i see what your saying.

i have a Truetrac in the front of my samurai and hopefully it works like it should
Old 12-07-2012, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
I think you meant a Spool for those 800# springs.. they dont slip much at all!!

I was gonna get a rebuild kit for mine just to have in the shop and was talking to my buddy at the powertrain place. he said most people will bring them back wanting the 400# springs.

but yea i see what your saying.

i have a Truetrac in the front of my samurai and hopefully it works like it should
They can cause issues and like I said especially in lighter vehicles. I too tend to stick with the standard 400lb springs, but the few sets I’ve been involved with typically start out OK and then sooner than what would typically be suspected start giving the owners minor issues, to which in every case thus far has either been cured by servicing the gear oil and at most requiring an additional bottle of friction modifier. I don’t see a need for the stronger springs for a daily driver at all, but there is always someone out there that pushes things further than most.

I also feel the TruTrac is an excellent choice for a front differential application, such as what you've chosen for your Samurai. Too bad the little 8.25" GM IFS axles aren't strong enough to handle anything other than an open carrier.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nonnie and 1Bear= full of great knowledge!
Old 12-07-2012, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yukon dura grip here no problems very nice unit.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My experience with a detroit locker was horrible. I would strongly advise you to take it off your list. It was very loud and crude. Parking and tight turns made it feel like you were fighting the steering, tires chirping, and then if it unlocked it would make a huge BANG! The detroit has a lot of slop between the locking teeth and when spinning wheels, at the moment when the tires go from slip to traction, I had what felt like violent wheel hop. It was actually the locker clanging around like an impact gun.
Last problem... when going around a corner, if you accelerate hard out of the corner, and the locker "locks" its difficult to control.
I replaced mine with a wavetrac and it solved all the above problems. It probably isn't available for your application, but the trutrac is similar in design.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm leaning towards the eaton LSD for my 14 bolt.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:56 AM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Valuetrac ftw. I got mine from Rons machine. Lock when its supposed to, can run around parking lot without any trouble/noise. On my rcsb around a corner fast enough will cause the axle to lock and hop or shudder during cornering but only when u get aggresive on the gas pedal.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

I talked to one of the techs at Eaton and gave them all the info my goal HP, goal tire size, how I use the truck and he pointed me to a Truetrac for my truck. I was going to get the LSD with the 800 spring and he said you have to change the friction material from carbon to steel and it would be basically a spool. Thanks for the input everyone and when I do the swap I am going to do a 3.42 before and 4.88 after video showing the difference.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Teching In

How can I tell which locker I have? I didn't install it, and the shop that built it has been less than truthful with me, as I have found many things not to be what I was told I was getting. I have a bunch of numbers that are engraved/stamped on the locker and some pictures if that helps. If anyone here can help, what do you need from me to determine what locker I have?

I've developed some slop in the driveline and traced it back to the locker. All my gears and U-joints are tight. I jacked up the rear and placed jack stands under the axle. I can rotate the rear wheels 7 1/2 deg before the locker turns.

Thanks

Last edited by ms38w; 12-10-2012 at 09:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Gear swap trying to choose a new Locker