Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

GMPP Supermatic

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 12:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not worth it. Probably have to use the stock stall?

As well as the downtime if it does blow just plain sucks imo. Yeah it gets fixed, but its gone for a week or more, leaves you stranded in the rain etc.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:52 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
I take a GM product over any aftermarket.
Statements like that show that you haven't been building performance cars/trucks very long...you do know that many of the GMPP products are "hecho en Mexico" don't you? I've gotten GM crate engines in the past with loose rod bolts and extra connecting rod caps laying in the oil pan...GM often times doesn't correct their products shortcomings while top notch aftermarket builders do

With that being said, I like the sound of the 3yr/100k warranty, just hope you never have to use it and have your truck torn down numerous times...technicians tend to take short cuts when doing warranty work that doesn't pay well, and when they work on the same vehicle numerous times, things tend to get broken, stripped, left out, and rigged back together. If they same warranty applies if you install it yourself, I'd feel more confident.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:53 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, i'll be using a 3000 Vigilante.

My dealer is performance oriented.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:55 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
I take a GM product over any aftermarket.
Then you better take out that Yank you just installed and put in a stock converter.

EDIT: and those heads you have to...
Old 03-03-2010, 12:55 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Statements like that show that you haven't been building performance cars/trucks very long...you do know that many of the GMPP products are "hecho en Mexico" don't you? I've gotten GM crate engines in the past with loose rod bolts and extra connecting rod caps laying in the oil pan...GM often times doesn't correct their products shortcomings while top notch aftermarket builders do

With that being said, I like the sound of the 3yr/100k warranty, just hope you never have to use it and have your truck torn down numerous times...technicians tend to take short cuts when doing warranty work that doesn't pay well, and when they work on the same vehicle numerous times, things tend to get broken, stripped, left out, and rigged back together. If they same warranty applies if you install it yourself, I'd feel more confident.
Good points Bud.

I would be right there during and helping with install. The Techs are cool and dont take short cuts. ( The ones that work on my stuff anyway! ) So i feel good about the install.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:59 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go in there with a turboed cammed stalled truck and keep breaking transmissions, someone's loosing money, and their going to want to find out whats going on and put a stop to it fast, even if your know everyone at the dealership.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:06 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Originally Posted by dlt76028
If you go in there with a turboed cammed stalled truck and keep breaking transmissions, someone's loosing money, and their going to want to find out whats going on and put a stop to it fast, even if your know everyone at the dealership.
Yep, i agree, at mostly every dealer.

This one is cool and has gone out of its way to help me with my vehicles, even a tuned lifted 500 horse Duramax With a stack that likes to break G80's LOL!

I would like to hear from TBSS guys who have this trans and see how its holding up for them.

I would love to go drop 2600 on a trans if i was working, I always try to buy whats best. But i really think this trans might just hold up for me.

BTW the Description is as follows from the GMPP catalog "Stands up to high horse power engines, run after run at the drag strip"

So lets keep discussing.....
Old 03-03-2010, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont 4l70's have there speed sensors in a different location than our trucks???

AND is it available in a 4wd application?????
Old 03-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

70s have an input shaft speed sensor but it wont be a problem for his truck, jsut an extra plug int he side of the trans thats not used. And yes it will work for his truck, AWD tcase and 4wd tcase use the same bolt pattern and the output shaft in the trans is the same for both cases.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:53 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Originally Posted by pewterliftedz
dont 4l70's have there speed sensors in a different location than our trucks???

AND is it available in a 4wd application?????

See, im not sure on the sensors!

John at SDPC said it will fit right in cuz the AWD and the 4X4 trans on the rear are the same . ???

He sounded knowlegable about it, but this is another reason im posting.

Thanks for the good questions!

Quick Reply: GMPP Supermatic