Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

GMPP Supermatic

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 10:56 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO id pass and get a built 60e..There are loads of stock and modded tbss's with blown tranny's..Some lasted 10k miles some have lasted 50k....

I have had 1 hiccup with mine (kinda over rev'd at WOT) but other than that it has worked fine..

Also you could run a circle-d converter,they dont paint there's
Old 03-04-2010, 01:35 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that you're price shopping, but since you're in OH, you aren't far from FLT in IL, FWIW...just throwing that out there

Originally Posted by andrew383
Also you could run a circle-d converter,they dont paint there's
Actually I believe that they paint the body of the converter black now, but the face/hub remainns unfinished...saw some pics a while back. I haven't seen my own in person yet as it got sent directly to FLT ****, I ordered it so long ago that I may have gotten mine before they started painting them
Old 03-04-2010, 01:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Dont know where in OH your at, but RPM is literally right down the road from me. They've got stuff in all kinds of vehicles, including some really fast vettes.. Think there a vendor on tech but not on here or i would post a link..
just throwing that out there, as mr hayes says..
Old 03-04-2010, 04:08 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys, appreciate all the info and suggestions.

I just wish i knew that the GMPP trans would hold, it would be a no brainer.

Its hard when some say it will and some say it wont.

Going to keep reseaching.

After Talking to Zippy i think i just might get parts from him and try to find a place local here to build it.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:14 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

If you go local, make sure that you find a place with a GOOD rep, that you know people who run their transmissions without problems. I've preached in many threads about the shortcomings of aftermarket trans shops and all of their problems. There are many auto trans shops out there, but only a handful who know what they're doing...sad but true. Auto trans rebuilding is more of an art than anything IMO, and one has to be a true artist to do it right. If it were me in your situation, I'd list my choices like this:

FLT/Performabuilt
GMPP
Local place with good rep

Just my .02

I haven't driven my own truck since Nov. 22 2008 since my trans blew, as I'm slowly paying off a FLT Level7 because I want my trans done right, and don't want to have to pull it out on a weekly basis. I figure that I'd rather be inconvenienced now by waiting than be inconvenienced in the future by laying on my back and removing my trans numerous times in the future
Old 03-04-2010, 08:12 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Your Right Bud, I know there arent a lot of guys/ shops local that can actually build a good trans.

I talked to Rossler , they are close to me here in ohio ( they build automatics for pro mod 5-6 sec cars.) But they are 2600 and up also.

So more reaserch is needed.

Your doing it Right Bud, it 's gotta be hard to not drive your truck, but it will be worth it having once you get it together.

This truck im building is just my daily driver, if i didnt have my DMAX i'd be going all out on it, just cant afford to have 2 highly modded trucks, so i have to be selective and cost aware of this build. But I gotta have a Turbo, i love them!

Any body know any more about this GM supermatic trans?
Old 03-04-2010, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant add to the GMPP trans, but i blew up 4 or 5 local built 60's behind my turbo 4.8L. By a very reputable shop, that held behind a lot of turbo TA's and camaros. If I could start ALL over I would have waited on a sponser trans.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:03 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by TIM Z
Your Right Bud, I know there arent a lot of guys/ shops local that can actually build a good trans.

I talked to Rossler , they are close to me here in ohio ( they build automatics for pro mod 5-6 sec cars.) But they are 2600 and up also.

So more reaserch is needed.

Your doing it Right Bud, it 's gotta be hard to not drive your truck, but it will be worth it having once you get it together.

This truck im building is just my daily driver, if i didnt have my DMAX i'd be going all out on it, just cant afford to have 2 highly modded trucks, so i have to be selective and cost aware of this build. But I gotta have a Turbo, i love them!

Any body know any more about this GM supermatic trans?
Thanks man, it is very tough not to drive my truck, but now I'm driving a 96 2 door Blazer that is working out well with the baby seat in the back for my daughter, and the gas mileage is awesome! But it's too damn slow lol!!

I hear ya about not needing 2 modded trucks, and I'm very curious about the GMPP Supermatic trans now...since it's a mild daily driver and there's a 3 year warranty, it's almost begging you to do it.

Hopefully somebody is familiar with and has more info on this trans, I'm curious to know how they hold up....

Hey Tim, you could be the first around here to do the GMPP Supermatic
Old 03-04-2010, 12:55 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

I just might order it and try it out.

Im only shooting for 450-500 RWHP , and not running the 1/4 every weekend.

After doing more reaserch and talking to a couple other GMPP dealers,

I found the Supermatic 4L70E is different from the TBSS trans internally.

I still trying to verify this.

The Part # for the Supermatic 4L70E is 19244034 ( which doesnt show up YET at the dealer.

The Part # for the 4L70E TBSS is 89037484 . I m just not 100% sure these two are the same, Even though SDPC said they cross refe. the same.

I want to officially get the supermatic under its designated part number if you know what i mean.

here is description right out of the GMPP catalog.

19244043 SUPERMATIC 4L70E Four speed automatic
* Based on 4L60E/4L65E
*Increased horsepower and torque capacity
*Features Five pinion gearsets, Heat treated state shaft splines,induction hardened turbine shaft, seven plate clutch and specific valve body calibration.
* includes torque converter with approx. 2300 stall speed
gear ratios 1st:3.06, 2nd: 1.62 ,3rd: 1.00 , 4th:.70

"eachof our electronically controlled automatic transmissions is designed to deliver smooth, cconsistent performance on the street, and stand up to High -power engines, run after run at the drag strip"
Old 03-04-2010, 02:08 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

WELL WHAT A WASTE OF TIME!!!!!!!

Just Got off the phone with BERGER Chevrolet ( GMPP Dealer)

They Called GMPP to get info on this supermatic trans.

They were told it was a misprint and doesnt exist.

Its supposed to be a 6L80E , Not a 4L70E. Somebody FUCKED up.!

Dont they proof read the FKN catalog??

Hell there is a pic of it and description on page 125. WTF !

Back to the drawing board.

Quick Reply: GMPP Supermatic