Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

GMT900 SUV - Belltech drop

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMT900 SUV - Belltech drop

First, many thanks to Eric @ Belltech and Rick & Drew @ Synergy Motorsports for their efforts on this. When I bought this truck I told myself I wouldn't drop it. But....as anyone who's lowered a vehicle before knows, once you've done it on one rig, you can't look at all of that wheel gap on a stock-height vehicle without going crazy.

Before:

But...this time around I definitely didn't want any of the headaches I had with my '03 SUV or '05 CC pickup. Which means a mild drop...in this case, 1" up front and 2" out back. In other words something that exists in Belltech's parts inventory, but not in their catalog for the newer SUV's. Eric helped piece together a complete kit for me, including Belltech's front and rear anti-sway bars (I'm really excited about those). Here are the Belltech part numbers, in case anyone else wants to explore a similar mild drop, and at that, one that doesn't require new spindles up front.
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
Drew @ Synergy did the install, and instead of loading up this thread with tons more pics, please feel free to visit my
/detail/ gallery for all the details.

Front springs:

Rears:

I followed the install with an alignment @ Roger Kraus Racing up in Castro Valley. No issues whatsoever - either with the install or the alignment. Another amazing thing, as those of us with prior experience know. No DIC nastygrams, not a single code, no a/r compressor kicking in, no rub/scrub anywhere, and not a single alignment element out of spec.

After:

Impressions...
The ride is more firm, but not harsh. No complaints, even over uneven bumps or railroad tracks. No bump steer at speed, either. Handling? MUCH improved. I can't speak to what had the greater effect - springs or anti-sway bars - but this is a new animal. A Corvette it ain't, but if you didn't know better from behind the wheel you wouldn't think you were in an XL SUV.

Interestingly, the amount of drop is more than 1" up front. No good answer for that, but I have no complaints about the look. There does seem to be a bit too much rake now, and I may be swapping rear springs for another inch of drop. Still undecided on that. I have 1-3/8" of rake right now so we'll see how they look.

Bottom line - Belltech amazes yet again with the quality of their products. Between the drop and (of course) the Synergy tune, the truck is as fun to drive as it is to look at in the driveway. I'd recommend something like this to anyone who's after subtle improvements without butchering ride quality, steering feel/functionality, or dealing with tire fitment issues.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

looks good!! and yes belltech has some pretty good stuff
Old 04-17-2008, 08:45 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn Jerry that looks great! Good write up and descripton of the finished drop. Plans on matching the tint up front?
Old 04-17-2008, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Hey Bill, do you recognize that silver truck in the first pic?

I've got my tint plan in place...it's called rolling up the windows. I'm actually running 35% on the fronts, so it's not quite a match, but I did notice that in all the pics of the drop the front windows are down. I blame Rick.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:46 PM
JB1
TECH Resident

looks great...

I love my belltech adjustable struts
Old 04-17-2008, 10:14 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Originally Posted by VroomVroom
Hey Bill, do you recognize that silver truck in the first pic?
I blame Rick.
lol, is your truck in that pic also?

Oh, I blame Rick too.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:57 PM

Jerry,
That rig is the ****! I am jealous!

Bill
Old 04-21-2008, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, fellas. I'm really happy with the end result. I'm still contemplating going a little lower, but I have a bad feeling about the effects on ride quality. This thing is a DD that sees people and cargo on a regular basis, so I don't want to make it uncomfortable.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Nice job Jerry... and I totally feel your pain on the RR tracks

Lisa
Old 04-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Looks good Jerry.

Quick Reply: GMT900 SUV - Belltech drop