Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Going to drop the 4wd got a few ?s

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 07:04 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Going to drop the 4wd got a few ?s

I see that DJM makes 3" LCAs, and also UCAs. Which one will be best for my suspension and easiest to align? I have already removed the lift blocks in the rear and installed shackles, what are the best brand hangers? I would like the option of dropping it 3" via the hangers. I already have the GM purple keys or whatever the ones that drop it ~2" in the front, and Im going to do something to drop the front 2-3 more inches. The thing I dont like about the spindles is that I cant throw my stock 16s on there if need be. I dont remember exactly what issues the LCAs cause but I seem to remember there being some sort of adverse effect from them. Bumpsteer maybe? I guess what Im really getting at is what is the best way to go to drop the front ~5" and get the best ride/driveability. Cost is not an issue, I would rather spend the money now and get the best results rather then save a few bucks now. Also what shocks will net me the best handling, a stiff ride doesnt really bother me but I would like to find the best compromse between the two. I plan on installing hotchkis sways front and rear also. Im trying to get the best handling truck possible and not absolutely kill my ride quality. I realize cant have the best of both worlds but would like a good compromise between all the various components. TIA.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:10 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont think the UCAs drop it any?not sure, i think the LCAs drop it and the UCAs help with the change in suspension geometry and help to make it easier to align

have you checked out GMracer's thread

also heard good things about the edelbrock shocks
Old 01-03-2007, 07:21 PM

To my knowledge he hasnt posted anything over here on the lower control arms. Also he has a flip kit in the rear so his setup doesnt really help me much thus all the questions.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dropped the rear 5" by removing the 2" lift blocks and DJM shackles using the uppermost holes for the additional 3" of drop.
The front I had to use the torsion keys to get a 3" drop. I wanted, actually still want, to get another inch or two of drop in the front but one of the guys at Stylin' Concepts told me the LCA's don't work on my 00 RCSB 4x4. Is that correct? Parish8 is using coilovers but has removed his front halfshafts, I have been thinking of trying coilovers to get the last inch of so of drop but am not sure if the coilovers will clear the shafts.
What I have right now rides a little better than it did stock.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GMracer has spindles and then torsion keys in the front to get his drop. i plan on putting the djm LCAs on my truck soon. i think the only problem with them is the bumpsteer. can you run LCAs and torsion keys to get a 5" drop?
Old 01-03-2007, 09:11 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I see that DJM makes 3" LCAs, and also UCAs. Which one will be best for my suspension and easiest to align? I have already removed the lift blocks in the rear and installed shackles, what are the best brand hangers? I would like the option of dropping it 3" via the hangers. I already have the GM purple keys or whatever the ones that drop it ~2" in the front, and Im going to do something to drop the front 2-3 more inches. The thing I dont like about the spindles is that I cant throw my stock 16s on there if need be. I dont remember exactly what issues the LCAs cause but I seem to remember there being some sort of adverse effect from them. Bumpsteer maybe? I guess what Im really getting at is what is the best way to go to drop the front ~5" and get the best ride/driveability. Cost is not an issue, I would rather spend the money now and get the best results rather then save a few bucks now. Also what shocks will net me the best handling, a stiff ride doesnt really bother me but I would like to find the best compromse between the two. I plan on installing hotchkis sways front and rear also. Im trying to get the best handling truck possible and not absolutely kill my ride quality. I realize cant have the best of both worlds but would like a good compromise between all the various components. TIA.
DJM does makes a 3/4 drop kit for 1500 series 4x4's. It uses lower LCA's in front and hangers/shackles in back. Bumpsteer is indeed an issue when lowering the front with control arms. You can also relocate the tie rods by buying the flip kit. I would trade the mild bump steer for a bad turning radius in an extended cab. This kit with the lowering torsion keys would give you 4-5" up front.

Here is the link to the DJM website;
http://www.djmsuspension.com/Product...ChevyParts.htm

My bro and my cousin both have VHO's with McGaughy's and it is diffuclt to launch the boat because of the turning radius. It rides just as nice as mine. If you dont mind the turning radius, maybe go Mcgaughys. Especially if you are going to slap those Baer's on there. The spindles and brakes both require an 18" wheel.

Something I would definately look into is the compatibility of the hotchkins suspension with djm components, if you go that route. You could also get the whole hotchkins rear set with the 3-4" rear leaf spring and swaybar. Then go djm up front with a (maybe) a hotchkins front sway bar?? My factory sway bar bolted on to my LCA's with no problems.

I dont know if I confused you... Or gave you some ideas. lol
Old 01-03-2007, 09:25 PM

Ill check into the hotchkis rear leaf, Ill have to do some more research on them, I dont want to lose my towing/hauling capacity too much. I may have to end up installing some helper bags or air shocks. I would rather not give up any turning radius, this damn thing takes a long was to turn anyway. So by doing the tie rod flip kit that will do away with bumpsteer? Like I said Im not afraid to spend the money just want the best compromise. If the stock sway bolted up front to the DJM LCA then a hotchkis should bolt right up. You wouldnt happen to know how much just hte LCAs cost would you? Also, shocks, which ones for best handling not necessarily ride?
Old 01-03-2007, 09:32 PM

Took a look at Hotchkis's website, it seems even though I have an ec I should get the RC kit since the EC kit comes with a carrier bearing relocator which I dont ahve since Im 4wd. The spacer that they include for the transmission I guess I could probably make myself, it also comes with shims but I can buy those seperately. Looks like I research shims now too. The sways say for stock height, I guess all I would need to do is adjust the end links for the proper geometry. This is getting really involved
Old 01-03-2007, 09:48 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Ill check into the hotchkis rear leaf, Ill have to do some more research on them, I dont want to lose my towing/hauling capacity too much. I may have to end up installing some helper bags or air shocks. I would rather not give up any turning radius, this damn thing takes a long was to turn anyway. So by doing the tie rod flip kit that will do away with bumpsteer? Like I said Im not afraid to spend the money just want the best compromise. If the stock sway bolted up front to the DJM LCA then a hotchkis should bolt right up. You wouldnt happen to know how much just hte LCAs cost would you? Also, shocks, which ones for best handling not necessarily ride?
I have hangers/shackles with firestone air helper bags and I have towed 6000# with no issues. I honestly think the hanger/shackle route is better. Lowering leafs are probably going to severely effect your towing ability.

The tie rod flip kit is supposed to elimate the bump steer. I felt my truck rode fine and never did it, and I am picky about stuff.

I have KYB mono-maxes in the front and it is a bit stiff, not bouncy. I think it rides great compared to the edelbrock IAS's and Bilsteins I had before. If you are worried about the way your truck handles, be sure to go with a stiffer shock.

The DJM kit list for $460, you might want to call. I bet it would cost around $300 because that is how much there other control arms sell for.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:55 PM

I dont need the whole kit, I already have the shackles in the back and was thinking of going with the mcgaughys hangers(as much as I hate the guy) since maybe later on I may go with caltracs but not for sure. That would net me 5 1/2 on the 2" hanger setting or an inch more if needed to level it out. I dont tow much but I want the option if needed. Would the lowering leafs affect towing capability even with helper bags? The kit you are tlaking about is it the hangers, shackles and LCAs? I saw that package but I just want the LCAs. I havent found a place yet that seels just the LCAs. Im still looking right now. Stylinconcepts probably has them but they are expensive.

Quick Reply: Going to drop the 4wd got a few ?s