Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Got my truck back today....and...(tranny)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 11:58 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Got my truck back today....and...(tranny)

Well, I finally got the truck back from the tranny shop today after one failed attempt at a tranny build and 3 weeks of waiting.

For those who haven't read my other threads, here is a brief summary:

Dec 24: Tranny grinds some gears coasting down the street. I tow it to my house thinking I will pull the tranny myself.
Dec 29: Give up on the pulling tranny myself idea and have it towed to the tranny shop that built my first one.
Jan 5: Work begins on the truck. I find out that my parking gear cracked and the gear that fits inside shredded all it's teeth. The rear planetary also broke, as well as the sun gear. Metal shavings everywhere. Basically no reusable parts.
Jan 13: Pick up the truck. Has 5 pinion planets front and rear, heavy duty drive shell, z-pack, billet servo, re-stalled factory converter, hardened ring gears, hardened splines, new thrust bearings, new electronics, etc etc. I drive 50 miles and lose the TC lockup first, then lose 2nd and 4th gear, then lose 1st and 3rd.
Jan 14: Tow it back to the shop
Jan 16: Tranny is pulled again. My guy says his converter guy used a new brand of bearings and clutches, a bearing in the TC went out, clutches shaved themselves off against the TC housing. Clutch material clogged the pump and valve body and I lost hydraulic pressure. Another rebuild needed. I tell him to put the Vette servo in cause I don't like the billet one.
Jan 20: Everything is back together, but it is "having some problems". Something is not shifting right. Can't have it back till Monday (Jan 23)
Jan 23: Valve body cleaned and reassembled, new solenoids, some other new stuff, not really sure what. My guy is still not confident that everything is right. 2-3 shift is sluggish. Wants to let it cool overnight and drive it again in the morning.
Jan 24 (today): Everything is good to go. The 2-3 shift is firming up (he replaced some kind of teflon bushing or something that is breaking in). Drive it, bring it back after 500 miles, he will give it a once-over to make sure everything looks ok. I drive it for the day, put close to 200 miles on it. 1st gear is strange, doesn't feel like a looser converter, but it feels sluggish, like something is holding the engine back. Finally tonight I decide to play with 1st gear and see how it's acting. Put it manually in 1st and take off slow from a light. Up to 3500 rpm......something disengages and engine is basically free-revving. Temps get hot quick (180 to 220 in about 15 seconds) - something is slipping. Damn it! I am so pissed right now!!!!! It drives fine when I am nice to it, but something is not right. I'm about to ask for my money back and get the 4L80E that everyone told me to get from the beginning. I have been more than patient through this whole thing, **** happens, whatever. He has now built me a total of three transmissions and one of them has worked like it should. That's not a very good number. I'll talk to him again tomorrow....I don't know what else to do.

Anyone have any ideas what causes the tranny to let go about 3500 in 1st?
Old 01-25-2006, 12:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You need to say enough is enough,get this ****** perfect this time or I want all my money back.Then go do what I said a long time ago and get the $1000 new 3 mile 4l65E.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:31 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A stock 65e isnt going to last long at all IMO. Get your money back if he cant make it right this time and do the 80e swap and be done with it.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:38 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
A stock 65e isnt going to last long at all IMO. Get your money back if he cant make it right this time and do the 80e swap and be done with it.
that's the current plan. I'll see what he has to say tomorrow. Damn it I wish I has just done the 80E from the beginning, wouldn't have had to deal with this ****.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
I would take a new 4L65e with a kit and a servo over a 4L60e that was demolished and slapped back together for 3K.Guys are running 12s and 11s with 4l65e and minor upgrades and holding fine

Last edited by gonzo 6.2; 01-26-2006 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea there are a couple of good tranny builders out there that have bad *** 60-65e trannys that hold up to big power...sorry your builder wasnt up to par...FLT and ROCK ON both have proven there stuff in these trucks....
Old 01-25-2006, 06:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why would he give the $$$$ back?
Old 01-25-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JimS
Why would he give the $$$$ back?
He probably wont,so he just keep trying,my guess will be this time he goes and builds one out of another core.I cant see why it lets it leave the shop when its not right.Did you have ride with you when he handed you the keys?Do it next time
Old 01-25-2006, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
You need to say enough is enough,get this ****** perfect this time or I want all my money back.Then go do what I said a long time ago and get the $1000 new 3 mile 4l65E.

Will that 4l65e work in my truck? My transmission is crapping out and i know i will eventually have to replace it. If this transmission will work in my truck where is it located? Thanks. Sorry to butt into your thread
Old 01-25-2006, 08:57 AM
TECH Veteran

First find a tranny guy that would swap output shafts for an hours labor or less even though it would take him about 25 min.He would have to tear your old one down to get the 2x4 shaft out,costs there.If your going to sell yours you might find a low mile 2x4 4L60e closer to you for less.http://car-part.com/
The 65e AWD is in WA.They normally have a few

Quick Reply: Got my truck back today....and...(tranny)