Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Got some strange noises coming from the truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got some strange noises coming from the truck

for about the last couple months the truck has been making a roaring type noise(cant really describe it that well). sounds like its coming from the rear end or maybe even the transfer case. i just got the new trans put in but it was doing this before then. only does this when i start up an incline and i slowly get into the gas. when it starts to make the fuss it will continue until i let off the gas then it stops. any ideas?
Old 04-04-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had this same kind of noise and at 49k it was a front hub.Do u have the autotrac?
Old 04-04-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive got the auto 4wd button if thats what u mean, but i dont even have the front driveshaft in the truck right now. sounds like its coming toward the rear of the truck.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought my transfer case was bout to fall out but took it in under ext warrenty and they said I had a half inch play in the drivers front hub,no more noise now and it sounded bad!
Old 04-04-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah this noise is pretty loud. kinda sounds like something rattling really hard. if im going up a small hill and i ease into the gas pedal some it will start and it wont stop until i let off the gas. sounds like its coming from maybe the transfer case or maybe even the rear end but idk.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Easy way to rule out the front hubs, jack the truck up by lifting it on the front crossmember and grab the top and bottom of the tire. Try and rock the tire back and forth, if it has any play the wheel bearing is bad. A bad wheel bearing will make the same noise youre describing.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

but it sounds like its coming toward the rear of the truck but i cant pinpoint where its coming from when im driving in the cab. but i will check for bad wheel bearings
Old 04-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive changed a bunch of them on these trucks and the noise is almost like a resonance under the truck, best I can figure is since its up under the wheelwell the sound reverberates under tha cab and magnifies it.

If its not wheel bearings then it only leaves teh tcase and rear. Both of those are easy to check too.

For the tcase, just drain it and see if you get shavings you may have the dreaded pump rub and the chain is rubbing the case on an incline then once its leveled out it isnt rubbing as bad.

The rear you just need to pull the diff cover, put a dial indicator on it and check backlash and see if its out of spec. Only other thing it could be is wheelbearings in the rear which are pretty easy to check also but a bit labor intensive if theyre not badly worn.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the help
Old 04-04-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

if it is the t-case wouldnt it have been doing it for awhile, this just started a couple months ago,im gonna check the wheel bearings tomorrow

Quick Reply: Got some strange noises coming from the truck