Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

gut pics of my whiny ass, fluid drippin, clunky ass rear end

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 07:56 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sadly
I can tell you how those marks got there............

REPLACE YOUR DAMN PINION NUT EVERY TIME YOU REMOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW I'm still running this carrier........
Old 04-24-2007, 08:15 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
Sadly
I can tell you how those marks got there............

REPLACE YOUR DAMN PINION NUT EVERY TIME YOU REMOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW I'm still running this carrier........
so do you think i can tighten down the pinion nut and help the problem temporarily? what do i torque it down to? its never been removed haha.

put some heavier fluid in there last night to help with the howling. 70/140 is what it was i think. no synthetic or posi additive since i wont be romping on it as much as usual lol. it did help a little. other than the chewing of my carrier and a good amount of sludge on the magnet everything looked "together" no cracks in the ring or pinion that i could see, the carrier has no cracks....it really drives fine once you get past that giant POP when going from reverse to drive im not afraid to take it another couple thousand but i dont plan on it

im going crazy trying to figure out if i want to stay with the 3.73's or go to the 4.10's....detroit tru-track will complement either gear.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you replace your crush sleave when you had the gears done?

Looks like your pinion nut is coming/or is loose, and it's making the pinion "walk" out. It's making a new wear patteren on the gears, that's what's making the howling noise. That clunk that you're hearing is your pinion moving backwards when it goes into reverse.

If you keep driving it, you're going to trash your bearings.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:46 AM

It's not torqued, it has a "crush sleeve", the crush sleeve it what is used to take up the differents between the pinion bearings. Of course crushing the sleeve is not very easy, (you'll find out once it's replaced)
You could. replace the sleeve, front seal, and nut, but all that metal will take out EVERY bearing in the rear-end, rather quickly too...

With a new crush sleeve, seal and NUT. you would tighten the pinion nut down until you have a turning torque of 10-15 in.lbs (used bearings) or 20-24in.lbs (new bearings)
Use a dail in.lbs toque wrench and see how much torque is required to spin the pinion gear WITH OUT THE DIFF CARRIER installed.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:10 AM

It's not torqued, it has a "crush sleeve", the crush sleeve it what is used to take up the differents between the pinion bearings. Of course crushing the sleeve is not very easy, (you'll find out once it's replaced)
You could. replace the sleeve, front seal, and nut, but all that metal will take out EVERY bearing in the rear-end, rather quickly too...

With a new crush sleeve, seal and NUT. you would tighten the pinion nut down until you have a turning torque of 10-15 in.lbs (used bearings) or 20-24in.lbs (new bearings)
Use a dail in.lbs toque wrench and see how much torque is required to spin the pinion gear WITH OUT THE DIFF CARRIER installed.
yeah i have no clue what you just said lol. ive never had the rear end apart to see exactly how all the parts fit together. ill just drive the POS the way it is until i get the change to pay a pro to fix it.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:29 AM

well in that case, pull your drive shaft and tighten that pinion nut back down, and start saving for the repairs......
The carrier will be o.k, You just cut the fuse a bit shorter on that time bomb. All the bearings will have to be replaced as well as the gears, of course.....
Old 04-24-2007, 09:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
yeah i have no clue what you just said lol. ive never had the rear end apart to see exactly how all the parts fit together. ill just drive the POS the way it is until i get the change to pay a pro to fix it.

ahhh don't do that, you might be able to save the gears
Old 04-24-2007, 10:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stewart...somethings going to snap in that thing soon - and you don't want your truck breaking down in front of your mistress's house, that's hard to explain to the girlfriend
Old 04-24-2007, 10:14 AM

well in that case, pull your drive shaft and tighten that pinion nut back down, and start saving for the repairs......
The carrier will be o.k, You just cut the fuse a bit shorter on that time bomb. All the bearings will have to be replaced as well as the gears, of course.....
all of the bearings come in a master install kit right? i figure with as much shavings i found on the magnet all of my bearings will be crap within the next few thousand miles or less. do i tighten the dog snot outa the pinion nut or just snug it down?
Originally Posted by Tootall
ahhh don't do that, you might be able to save the gears
the gears are already junk IMO. atleast im not putting them back into my truck.

Originally Posted by Colby 04
Stewart...somethings going to snap in that thing soon - and you don't want your truck breaking down in front of your mistress's house, that's hard to explain to the girlfriend
my truck is my mistress. the girlfriend already knows that and she's jellous

does anyone know how much a new carrier will cost me? if im guna do it i want to do it once and do it right. i wont be half assing the rear end or transmission when it breaks.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey man, I had a guy come in here and he put in his own Differential, and he forgot to crush his Crush Sleeve...and it looked alot like that. When you took it back out...was the crush sleever crushed?

Quick Reply: gut pics of my whiny ass, fluid drippin, clunky ass rear end