Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

gut pics of my whiny ass, fluid drippin, clunky ass rear end

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
all of the bearings come in a master install kit right? i figure with as much shavings i found on the magnet all of my bearings will be crap within the next few thousand miles or less. do i tighten the dog snot outa the pinion nut or just snug it down?

the gears are already junk IMO. atleast im not putting them back into my truck.

my truck is my mistress. the girlfriend already knows that and she's jellous

does anyone know how much a new carrier will cost me? if im guna do it i want to do it once and do it right. i wont be half assing the rear end or transmission when it breaks.

It all depends on if you want to go back with the OEM Carrier ( I suggest not)....or if you want a diffrent brand. I like the Auburn Gear or the Detroit Tru Trac.

I can make you a good price on a OEM unit, becaus that's what I sell. Or if you'd like I can price you an American Axle carrier.

PM me if you want me to get you some prices.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:25 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
It all depends on if you want to go back with the OEM Carrier ( I suggest not)....or if you want a diffrent brand. I like the Auburn Gear or the Detroit Tru Trac.

I can make you a good price on a OEM unit, becaus that's what I sell. Or if you'd like I can price you an American Axle carrier.

PM me if you want me to get you some prices.
oh so when i get the detroit tru-trac it will replace the carrier all together? i was thinking all the posi crap goes inside of the carrier...but its a totally new carrier/differential all together? definately dont want another g80 even though this one has done me proud.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Everything Wild Racing said was correct.

If you drive that thing without at least tightening the pinion nut up you won't be driving it far. You can get pinion nuts in the HELP section at your local parts store usually. It is the same nut for the 8.5 10 bolt. I'd put a new nut on it now as well as later. If a nut is removed once don't reuse it. I've had countless nuts back off on me and they will do it in a matter of days after retightening.
Most master install kits are for 8.5's. I've never seen a master kit for an 8.6 even though Summit says it will work when you look it up online. The only difference is the carrier brgs are a different size.
I'm sure you don't have an inch pound tq wrench to measure the rotational load so just tighten it slowly and checking rotational load by hand. When you can feel resistance that would be good enough for now.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh so when i get the detroit tru-trac it will replace the carrier all together? i was thinking all the posi crap goes inside of the carrier...but its a totally new carrier/differential all together? definately dont want another g80 even though this one has done me proud.
yeah the true trac is a whole new carrier.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

...lol...I bet you're thinking about the Richmond Powertrax...it's an internal locking device but it costs as much as a complete carrier.

The Tru Track is a whole Differetial. It's really good...and strong.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:22 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

on my way to pick up a new pinion nut thanks for all the help guys! im actually able to understand the terminology about rear ends now lol.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

be sure not to over tighten the nut, . . . remember, it's inch pounds, you should be able to spin the yoke easily
Old 04-24-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

on my way to pick up a new pinion nut thanks for all the help guys! im actually able to understand the terminology about rear ends now lol.
Hey man....make sure you get someone to help with that...cause setting one up is intricate and it'll cause some problems down the road really bad if you don't set it up right....gotta use a dial indicator on your Backlash and spacing.

Oh yeah by the way.....MAKE SURE YOU CRUSH THE SLEEVE WHEN YOU INSTALL
Old 04-24-2007, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

not good.. so not good.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will need to replace the bearings at the ends of the axle housings too since that nasty *** oil gets thrown all back in there too.

Quick Reply: gut pics of my whiny ass, fluid drippin, clunky ass rear end