Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

gut pics of my whiny ass, fluid drippin, clunky ass rear end

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 10:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
i put the nut on and it went from turning easily to bottomed out, so i went ahead and put about 30 ft lbs on it lol. no more leak, no more howl, and it rolls forward on its own downhill after reverse...also no more clunking when going from reverse to drive. it feels back stock again! i still need to get it up on a jack and turn the yoke to see how hard it is, but everything feels perfect right now. theres still the expected play in the rear end when going from r to d so i dont think i over tightened it with the 30ish lbs. i think i can roll on it for a while until i get up enough cash to pay to have it done. i hate modding on credit lol.

Aww crap man! You needed a new crush sleeve as well. It takes 400 ft. lbs. to crush a sleeve. You also need an INCH POUND BAR TYPE TORQUE WRENCH to check pinion bearing preload. Dude, call me.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:02 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

can i get your number again?
Old 04-24-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do a little math and you can use a ft lb one unless you just have an inch lb
Old 04-24-2007, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by blake2kz71
do a little math and you can use a ft lb one unless you just have an inch lb
im not sure if theres a point right now. its a temporary McGuiver rig. the entire rear end needs to be gone through.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol true true im like you I wouldnt waste any more time or money than I have to with that rearend. Go ahead and get ya a tru-trac
Old 04-25-2007, 12:26 AM

i just got off the phone with axis and he/we came to the conclusion that i got very lucky! the gears and pinion are fine, the sludge stuck to my magnet was excessive but it was normal consistancy (fine sludge that you couldnt even tell was metallic) so it shouldnt have damaged any of my bearings (crossing fingers). this is from him looking at pictures and my descriptions. things may change when he sees it in person. my crush sleve is cooked for sure but he's helping me out bigtime on the issue by lending me the tools or possibly helping with the job where else can you talk to an expert at 12:30 AM in the morning props to axis and everyone in this thread who taught me the ropes about rear ends. the links wilde sent me taught me a ton! enough to the point where im confident in replacing my own crush sleeve...the 400 ft lbs torque is scarry though

i was getting excited about finally having a reason to install 4.10's and a tru-trac too

Last edited by TXsilverado; 04-25-2007 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:02 AM
Fast lane preferred

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad you have a temp fix. I may have the Eaton and 4.10 out of my old truck if the dealer takes 'em out. Let me know if you are interested and I can get in call you whenever I get em. I know its no trutrac but it works pretty well and the gears will be in good condition. I will be back in town tomorrow.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was getting excited about finally having a reason to install 4.10's and a tru-trac too

hey let me know where you find one, I've been looking
Old 04-25-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

oh anad the fluid i put back in was 70/140 or something like that because it was layin around lol. i was thinkin more temporary and it was free. now i feel like it will last a bit longer so what should i replace it with and keep the g80 workin?
Here bro....the part numbers for GM fluid...89021677 is Synthetic Axle Lube...and 1052358 is the Limited Slip Additive. This **** is ALL I use at my shop. Some people don't think you should sue the Additive when you use Synthetic...but I use it anyway...GM Service Manual directs us to keep using it.

But anyway....this should keep things all nice, quiet and lubed up in the Carrier.

If your local dealership tries to smoke you on this stuff.....just PM me and I'll hook you up with some.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
Here bro....the part numbers for GM fluid...89021677 is Synthetic Axle Lube...and 1052358 is the Limited Slip Additive. This **** is ALL I use at my shop. Some people don't think you should sue the Additive when you use Synthetic...but I use it anyway...GM Service Manual directs us to keep using it.

But anyway....this should keep things all nice, quiet and lubed up in the Carrier.

If your local dealership tries to smoke you on this stuff.....just PM me and I'll hook you up with some.
sweet thanks. i know all the parts managers at my local dealership so ill get the good pricing i got a free rear end outa a totaled 2001 silvy so im guna keep that to the side just incase. no clue whats inside of it but you cant be picky in an emergency or turn down a freeby

Quick Reply: gut pics of my whiny ass, fluid drippin, clunky ass rear end