Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Hangars or leafsprings?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya the hangers arent the easiest . drop the gas tank , grin the rivets off the stock ones . an if later you wanna go with a flip kit , and dont want a 8 inch drop then you gotta take them back off . i personaly wouldnt go with leafs myself . because i like to use my truck like a truck when i need to , and have fun with it also
Old 11-07-2005, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to decide the best route to go too. I have a set of Mcgaughy 2 inch drop spindles on order, but don't really know what to do about the rear. Any suggestions?
Old 11-09-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone?
Old 11-09-2005, 05:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

drop it with hangers. you will probably appreciate keeping the smooth ride of your denali. The mcgaughy's kit is great. the parts all come powdercoated black and fit perfect.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am not to familiar with the hanger setup. Can you do a shackle and hanger combo to get the truck lower? I just want the best setup for the rear, I am concerned about pinion angle, I keep hearing issues with that. I don't want anything f*cking up back there considering that all wheel steer rear end isn't cheap to replace! Would I be safe and satisfied with Silverado SS shackles back there?? Or the SSS shackles and take the blocks out?? I am kinda in the dark here on the back of the truck..
Old 11-09-2005, 10:16 PM
Teching In

How does the hanger/shackle combo ride with a sway bar? I am thinking about lowering my truck and I want it to handle but I also want a smooth ride (I drive 25000 miles a year). I know to get one you have to sacrifice the other. I am considering a hanger/shackle combo or the Hotchkis TVS. What's your opinions?
Old 11-09-2005, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am just going to do drop spindles and silverado SS shackles in the rear.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ACDenali
I am not to familiar with the hanger setup. Can you do a shackle and hanger combo to get the truck lower? I just want the best setup for the rear, I am concerned about pinion angle, I keep hearing issues with that. I don't want anything f*cking up back there considering that all wheel steer rear end isn't cheap to replace! Would I be safe and satisfied with Silverado SS shackles back there?? Or the SSS shackles and take the blocks out?? I am kinda in the dark here on the back of the truck..
yes you can do the shackle/hanger combo for a total of 4" rear drop. you are basically just moving the mounting points for the leaf spring up towards the bottom of the bed.

As far as pinion angle is concerned you can get 4 degree shims to put between the rear end and the leafs. this will correct the angle. Although, with my truck it was not required. I have no vibration and no noise all the way up to 100mph. Most kits will recomend you drive the truck first before putting in the shims. They don't all need them.

Even if it does vibrate a little or make a noise it is nothing that is going to break or screw up. It will be more of an annoyance until you fix it. the hanger/shackle kits will keep the ride exactly the same. You will need new shocks on the rear though.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

I knoiw the D arched springs reduce the capacity of the truck, but what if you did the springs with air bags, and just air them up to load the truck or tow? That way you still had the handling, lowering, and ease of installation?
Old 11-17-2005, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

I wonder though, if leafs would increase wheel hop...

Quick Reply: Hangars or leafsprings?