Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Hanger install... WTF rivets???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 05:25 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hanger install... WTF rivets???

I don't know wtf is going on... I've spent 4-6 hours cumulatively (mostly with the air hammer) and don't have a SINGLE rivet head off. I've tried various things on three different rivets, all to no avail.

So far the only thing that seems to work is a grinder and I'm a little leary of throwing sparks all over the plastic gas tank lol. I do have one rivet head about 50% off (cut off wheel mostly) but can't get to the rest of it with the COW.

WTF?

Using a torch with a cutting tip, I hit the rivet and started to heat it up... IMMEDIATELY all the effin wax starts to smoke and sputter all over the effin place. I get the rivet hot enough and hit the o2 jet: Poof the frame rail bursts into flame lol (all that sputtering wax -- god damn those chevy designers to waxy hell). Crouching in the wheel well, this seemed bad to me especially right next to the gas tank Beat that out with my glove and kept at it a bit. The stupid rivet isn't even scarred...

These rivets ARE carbon steel aren't they? Did chevy switch to hafnium carbide or something?

How the hell did you guys get them out? Grinder?
Old 08-23-2006, 05:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i did mine on my 96 model i used an air hammer with a chisel bit and use a side approach and knocked the head off the rivet. It honestly took me about 20 minutes. I would try the air hammer again, no sparks. you might have to take the gas tank out to get to the inside of the frame to install the bolts in the new hanger anyway. good luck
Old 08-23-2006, 05:53 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Thanks. Maybe my compressor is not up to the task?

I do have the tank loose and moved out of the way (about 5" towards the center of the truck).
Old 08-23-2006, 07:19 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could cut the rivit from the top then hit it with a air hammer.
BTW what kind of a air hammer are you using?
Old 08-23-2006, 07:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

grind on them awhile and then use the hammer, Get a fire blanket or old wet fabric to put around the tabk area.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

You tried drilling out the rivets? I've heard of someone doing this but it seems like grinding down the heads would be easier.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

i used the cut off wheel and made several cuts on the rivet head and then used an air hammer to knock the small slivers that were left off. then used the air hammer to knock them out once the head was off.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:27 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DLH2006
grind on them awhile and then use the hammer, Get a fire blanket or old wet fabric to put around the tabk area.
Exactly what I was going to say. What kind of wheel are you using on the grinder?
Old 08-23-2006, 08:38 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Tried both a cut off wheel and a high grit grinding wheel. Both work great where I can get the tool in there (4.25" wheels).

The air hammer is a wolverine I think.

Thanks for the tips guys -- I'll give it another go tomorrow.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:57 AM
TECH Regular

I used a air hammer to take the heads off then a punch to pop it out. About 30 mins. Try a shorter air hose. The shorter the more power. Make one if you have to. Maybe a V cut air hammer chisel.

Quick Reply: Hanger install... WTF rivets???