Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

hard into reverse after hd2 install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hard into reverse after hd2 install?

While I had the tranny out for my converter install I had the local tranny shop intall a hd2 shiftkit and redo the flt valve(think that is what its called) in the valve body. I just got it all back together and it seems to shift good, but when going into reverse it bucks the truck pretty hard. Its a thud as if I were parked on a hill and had the driveline loaded when putting it into reverse. Also since the hd2 install it seems like it takes the truck longer to downshift when I punch it from a roll. It used to downshift instantly but now it accels in the gear its in for a split second and then downshifts. Im not sure if that is tuning related since I also had it retuned at the sametime. And this is in my 2500hd so its a 4l80e.

thanks for any input
Old 05-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why did you have them work on the valve body? What exactly did they do to it?
Old 05-28-2010, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I hope you get an answer on the downshifting thing... That is something mine does and it annoys the crap out of me!
Old 05-28-2010, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by viciousknid
why did you have them work on the valve body? What exactly did they do to it?

They did the Actuator Limit Valve repair, on the last page of the hd2 instructions it talks about it. It basically says that if you have over 100k miles on the 4l80e that this valve will have a worn bore which causes low pressure when it gets hot. And since my tranny has over 140k hard miles I thought it would be a good idea to do it.

Any ideas if my problems are tune related or if they are mechanical?
Old 05-28-2010, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Camaro Zach
I hope you get an answer on the downshifting thing... That is something mine does and it annoys the crap out of me!
Lol me too! It is extremely annoying, everytime I floor the truck from a roll it takes at least 3 seconds or so to down shift and get going.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:52 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reverse issue I believe has something to do with the dual feed system of the direct drum. This drum is also referred to as the hi/reverse drum. This drum has obviously two functions. However with this kit they are using the whole surface of the apply piston to add to the holding power of it for clutch life purposes. I have tried in the past to orifice the band feed hole that comes on with this clutch but it still seems pretty noticeable. If you are running a hi stall converter this apply seems much better because the converter covers it up some. I hope this helps you understand why it is the way it is. Vince
Old 05-28-2010, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
The reverse issue I believe has something to do with the dual feed system of the direct drum. This drum is also referred to as the hi/reverse drum. This drum has obviously two functions. However with this kit they are using the whole surface of the apply piston to add to the holding power of it for clutch life purposes. I have tried in the past to orifice the band feed hole that comes on with this clutch but it still seems pretty noticeable. If you are running a hi stall converter this apply seems much better because the converter covers it up some. I hope this helps you understand why it is the way it is. Vince
Thank you for the reply, so I guess its just the way it is. As long as it isnt hurting anything I guess I can live with it.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

I had the actautor feed limit and FCC valves redone in mine because of a neutraling condition and it fixed it. Better to avoid that issue all together if you can. My 80e was out of a 6.5 diesel truck and I'm using that converter that will brake stall to around 1500. My point is with a shift kit it's got a very strong engagement to reverse. Think duramax/Allison like only with about twice as much pull. I don't mind it but it is very obvious. Mine is 2wd so I don't get that annoying 4wd driveline slack clunk like my 99 does with a shift kit.