Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Harsh 1-2 shift under light throttle after Transgo & Servo install

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 10:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WEll, This has been an experience for me. A bad one. The truck is in the shop right now and everything is going back to stock! I am leaving the metal accumilator pistons in but the transgo is completely coming out. I have no desire to deal with this. THe biggest factor in my decision was that I dont think the kit is for me. I may put the vette servo back in, but for now its coming out as well.

In my case I think a got over zealous and didnt think long enough about what mods fit my application. I will chalk this up to leasons learned and try to recover from the hit on the pocket book.

One thing interesting, the tranny shop I finally found that had experience with the transgo explained to me that the computer has adverse affects on the transgo.
this is what he said. The PCM will constantly try to keep a certain shift firmness. They have installed transgo in the past and work good for the first month, then the computer finally learns and adjusts the firmness back down by reducing line pressures.

Now, I do not know if tuning can eliminate this adjustment ability?

Anyways, I think it will be better if my truck remained without the transgo. I was humbled by the experience and feel that I seriously need to plan things out better from here on out.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Eye-P
I dont think that returning the 1-2 acc back to stock is needed. Just get a new sep plate for $20 and reduce the 1-2 feed hole size.

Also, returning the servo back to stock seems like a bad idea. The additional apply area of the vette servo is necessary in our applications.
that's what did it for me at least, but I had tuning as well, so that may be why my experience differs from OCBC's. Who knows....

Andrew
Old 08-02-2005, 11:28 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBC
WEll, This has been an experience for me. A bad one. The truck is in the shop right now and everything is going back to stock! I am leaving the metal accumilator pistons in but the transgo is completely coming out. I have no desire to deal with this. THe biggest factor in my decision was that I dont think the kit is for me. I may put the vette servo back in, but for now its coming out as well.

In my case I think a got over zealous and didnt think long enough about what mods fit my application. I will chalk this up to leasons learned and try to recover from the hit on the pocket book.

One thing interesting, the tranny shop I finally found that had experience with the transgo explained to me that the computer has adverse affects on the transgo.
this is what he said. The PCM will constantly try to keep a certain shift firmness. They have installed transgo in the past and work good for the first month, then the computer finally learns and adjusts the firmness back down by reducing line pressures.

Now, I do not know if tuning can eliminate this adjustment ability?

Anyways, I think it will be better if my truck remained without the transgo. I was humbled by the experience and feel that I seriously need to plan things out better from here on out.
You know, at this point I'd have to agree with your tranny guy, however, I also think there is a table or more that can be disabled so that it operates as designed, but I think you'll have to be willing to live with no or little TQ mgmt.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Regular

moregrip, thats makes me feel even better about my decision. Right now, I have no TM in my tune, that could have been part of the problem, who knows. I know from my previous tune the shift pressures can be increased and I think I would prefer to mess with the shifting from tuning only from here on out. As always, you learn by doing and making mistakes.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:46 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBC
moregrip, thats makes me feel even better about my decision. Right now, I have no TM in my tune, that could have been part of the problem, who knows. I know from my previous tune the shift pressures can be increased and I think I would prefer to mess with the shifting from tuning only from here on out. As always, you learn by doing and making mistakes.
I wouldn't feel too bad, you made the best decision you could based on available info, that's the best any of us can do.

Do you have tuning software or is your tune mail order?
Old 08-02-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Regular

its mail order. Jesse did it. It ran real good before the shift kit, even though it it was set up for it. My previous tune shifted much harder than the new version. Ill talk to jesse and get it set up.

Right now, i know for sure the TM is completely gone. I will probably but up the pressure a little, not as much as my last one. I am going to go for comfort.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

NakedAV

A couple of things I found out in in talking with Joe(JAG) and Jesse(Wait4Me) decisions to go back that might help you is the following.

The transgo supposedly adds about 40% firmness, and the the servos add almost another 40-50%. This could be a factor in our super hard shifts. One option that both told me I could try was to remove the servos and replace back to stock with only the transgo spring on the 2nd servo. I was told this could possibly eliminate the harsh shifts.

I, as stated above, decided to go completely back to stock.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've only ever ran into this problem a couple of times and they were vehicles with transgo kits. one of the first things i recomend is to keep the 1-2 accumulator stock if you don't want harsh part throttle shifts. one of the SS trucks i've ridden with a transgo was the exact same way. very harsh at part throttle and at wide open i wasn't sure if it was going to make the shift many more times. some of this can be solved by scaling the trans settings differently. i don't recall if the transgo kit has you turning up the pressure at the force motor or not, but this is a no-no also if harsh part throttle shifting is a concern. send me your file kevin and i'll see if i can be of help...
Old 08-02-2005, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I agree, I started with 1 washer, then went to 0 washers and then took teh 1-2 accum back to stock. the back to stock arrangement made a MUCH bigger difference and eliminated the hard part throttle shifts in my case.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zippy
i've only ever ran into this problem a couple of times and they were vehicles with transgo kits. one of the first things i recomend is to keep the 1-2 accumulator stock if you don't want harsh part throttle shifts. one of the SS trucks i've ridden with a transgo was the exact same way. very harsh at part throttle and at wide open i wasn't sure if it was going to make the shift many more times. some of this can be solved by scaling the trans settings differently. i don't recall if the transgo kit has you turning up the pressure at the force motor or not, but this is a no-no also if harsh part throttle shifting is a concern. send me your file kevin and i'll see if i can be of help...
If you PM me your email address I'll send you both my stock Magnuson tune and the modified Magnuson tune that returned the tranny settings to stock GM settings. Thanks for any help you can lend.

Quick Reply: Harsh 1-2 shift under light throttle after Transgo & Servo install