Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

HELP 4L60E woes....

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 01:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP 4L60E woes....

my truck, '94 z-71 decided to start pouring the tranny's life blood out from the bell housing last night. I have an idea that it's coming from the torque converter seal, which it probably is. BUT:

I hear that a major problem in a 4L60 style tranny, is that a bushing of some sort in the front pump wears out over time, allowing the converter to "sag" or get slop in it, and wear out the seal it rides on. most people just replace the seal that it's leaking from, just to find out they start leaking before they hit the pavement.

I didn't notice anythign wrong till it started acting funny shifting into second and third--- a little slow about locking in to gear. I pulled the dipstick out and saw nothing (while running, was *atleast* on HOT when truck was off) put 2 quarts in it, brought it to the cold mark, another quart made no diff. I got curious, and looked under it, in the time it took me to pour a gallon of fluid in, it put a puddle about 15" or 18" around on the ground. put the last of the gallon in, and drove to the house quickly (about 6 miles).

after the tranny had a decent amount of fluid in it, it DID start to shift better, but not like it should have. (the leak could possibly be by-passing fluid pressure that would otherwise be directed to the clutches??)

if the tranny's toast after all this, I'm on a mission for an NV4500, any donors??
Old 10-18-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats not good with that big of a leak. The guy at aamco that built by trans said the bearings are 99% of why 4l60e's fail. He said there really cheap and made in Taiwan. When mine went out i had no leaks, no slipping, no warning at all then one night it shifted from 2nd to 3rd and then hit the rev limiter. It was not driveable 2 days after.