Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Help! Converter Won't lock :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 06:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Converter Won't lock :(

Hey guys,

Ran into a problem today..

My converter (Circle D 3200) will not lock up at cruise. I can manually lock it up with HP Tuners, so I don't believe the converter is bad. No misfires, but did have a P0741 code once.

If the TCC solenoid was bad, would I still be able to manually command lock up? Any other ideas as to what it would be?

When I click TCC PWM in HP tuners, I can hear a solenoid clicking. But when I click TCC Solenoid, no clicking..should there be?

I haven't been driving the truck much at all, but it was fine the last time I drove it.

Thanks!

Last edited by AJII; 03-12-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it has enough fluid?

you know those ms boys are goofy

but seriously, whats the fluid level? did you change when the converter locks? im dumb sorry
Old 03-12-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's full of flluid. Us MS boys are dumb, but we aint that dumb.

Haven't made any changes to the trans since it last worked.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:23 PM

hmm...maybe scan the truck and post a log? i dunno man...im not very good at this stuff
Old 03-12-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Brake pedal switch?
Old 03-13-2011, 01:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

what are your mods? It may seem irrelevent but trust me on this sometimes u have to change some things on the tune if u have a cam.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:47 AM

he has a cam, converter, LTs, CAI, UD pulley (i think)
self tuned with HP
Old 03-13-2011, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried to clear the code to see if it comes back?

You could try to replace the solenoids but if I had to guess between the two you have listed the pwm one is the one I would go after. Reason being is you are able to command tcc using your tuning software and it works. This means the main solenoid in the pump is working along with the pump and the converter. You basically are not using the pwm solenoid by what you did. In some cases the issue is not the solenoids at all. The issue is with the valve body and its regulator and isolator valves for the pwm tcc function. The bore wears and causes many issues with tcc.

There are a couple fixes for this. One would be to pin these valve in the valve body. I have seen it done many different ways. With some valve bodies depending on what generation of valves used you can simply flip the isolator valve. This will allow the valves to be pinned and makes this circuit basically dead. I have seen guys install check ***** to lengthen the spring so these valves are pinned away from one another. You can also use a inner pump slide spring from a early 4l60e or 700r4 pump.

The last fix for the valve body would be to install a trans go shift kit and use their tcc regulator valve. There are other valves out there from sonnax but some of these require a reamer and I have seen problems where there still is an issue. Personally I would probably just pin the valves and be done with it. You will notice that the tcc will be firmer with any of these mods. I hope this helps. Vince
Old 03-13-2011, 08:24 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Great advise from the horses mouth. I had a similar problem on a build I did, pinned the valves and lockup felt perfect after that... This was on stock tuning as well

There's some things you want to do with the tune but IMO, a lot of hydraulic flow and pressure changes need to be made with hardware in the trans.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:11 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing is to verify lockup is actually being commanded. Then I would consider changing the lockup solenoid and as mention PIN the Converter regulator valve PWM. While I was there I would verify the TTC valve is not stuck you can do this in the hole where the TCC solenoid is, Beyond that your left with either TCC oring thats been damaged or a converter issue.

Quick Reply: Help! Converter Won't lock :(