Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

help me!! Caliper bracket bolts!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me!! Caliper bracket bolts!!!

How the F*ck do you guys get these off?? Ive hosed them with PB blaster and have a breaker bar on there that I have hammered pushed and pulled with all my strength and even stood on!!!!!!!!! They wont budge!!! Should I try to find a right angle impact gun to try to fit in there?? Were yours this hard??
Old 07-23-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

Cool

Have the calipers ever been off for pads or anything? The bolts may be rusted in place and a little heat may help get them loose. If you don't have access to oxy/acetylene then a propane torch might work but it will take about 5 minutes per bolt and a little experimentation. Or you can take them to a muffler/brake shop and get them to break them loose for you. Put some never-seize on them when you put it back together.
Heat may not be the kindest method of getting stubborn nuts and bolts to free up but it is always the fastest unless you can get a big honking air gun on there and that may just turn the head of the bolt off. I don't think a right angle air ratchet will help you with this job.
Try to heat the bolt more so than the caliper.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mort
Have the calipers ever been off for pads or anything? The bolts may be rusted in place and a little heat may help get them loose. If you don't have access to oxy/acetylene then a propane torch might work but it will take about 5 minutes per bolt and a little experimentation. Or you can take them to a muffler/brake shop and get them to break them loose for you. Put some never-seize on them when you put it back together.
Heat may not be the kindest method of getting stubborn nuts and bolts to free up but it is always the fastest unless you can get a big honking air gun on there and that may just turn the head of the bolt off. I don't think a right angle air ratchet will help you with this job.
Try to heat the bolt more so than the caliper.
No they have never been off. The truck needs new brakes badly!!
Good point about turning the head off of the bolt. Had that happen with header bolts and I ended up buying new heads . I will see what a shop will charge to loosen them, that seems like the best idea.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:14 AM
.T.
TECH Resident

They're torqued to something like 150lbs. Get on them with a breaker bar and a good towel to save your hands and they'll break loose. Get a buddy to throw down some extra torque if you need to. I wouldn't put an air chizzle on there. You can get them by hand.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Dude i feel your pain

i had a time with mine spray penetrating oil or wd40 whatever on em and let em set a while. Then come back and bow up. Good luck.

Derek
Old 07-23-2006, 01:40 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they are real stubborn try to turn the wheels so you can get on them a little easier. A little heat might help or some times look for where they are threaded. Have a buddy put an inpact/braker bar on them while you tap on the housing where the threads are. This will help to shock them loose. Good luck, Vince.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys. I gave up, my buddy went at it and I started tapping firmly with a hammer. We were probably closer to 200lb ft and nothing moved. Im going to accept that this isnt a job for me. There are 8 bolts and we couldnt budge 1. Im going to take the truck to a local guy that is very well known in the community and have him wrap the truck up for me. Brakes, STS, motor and trans. It will cost Im sure, but no more torn muscles, missed work, etc. Anyone have a good idea as to what I should expect to pay to have pads, rotors, SS brake lines, new brake fuid installed???
Old 07-23-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a 3lb sledge and whacked on my 2ft breaker bar. It took several blows, but they came off.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i was gonna say dude..**** it let somebody else deal with it i get pissed with stuff like that/ ill do what i can but i jus run it to my bud at the dealer..and let them hit it for me.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Junkie

You guys give up too soon.
If someone else can do it, so can you. There just going to use a breaker bar and a long pipe on the end of it for leverage, or an impact gun.
If you were here, I'd give you a hand.
Good luck!

Jim

Quick Reply: help me!! Caliper bracket bolts!!!