Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Help new 4l80e is in now truck wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 02:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vince B
When I said to unplug the harness to see if the truck starts I was talking about the main case connector for the internal wiring for the trans. Like I said I do not think your issue is there. Yes the NSS or the PRNDL is the black box on the side of the trans. This where I think your issue is at or the wiring for it. I do not know what you are talking about grounding the switch. I guess where ever you got this info you should ask there. If I had to guess they are grounding a wire that will complete a connection for park or neutral if I had to guess.
I figured you were talking about the main. I don't know what I am talking about there either lol. I forgot what forum it was on some s10 or old f body forum. It was an old thread so i figured i wouldn't get a reply to it.

Originally Posted by JFOLM
The clip on the cable is broke on mine and will not let me go into park sometimes.

Maybe we are passed this but do you have all your grounds connected?

Have you tried to manually (at the lever on the trans) put it in Park or Neutral to start it?
I know what you are talking about here. the clip (or push lock that I think it might be called) on the shifter cable broke on mine too. This is what seats to the shifter bracket correct? I know it's not that. I did get a no gear indication under park but all other gears had the line under them when it was broken. To fix the broken clip I just put a small hose clamp over the clip/push lock which held it in place and would not let it slip around.

As far as i know yes. how many grounds are there on a gmt900 ccsb?

It goes into park by the column shifter. I had to manually put it in park before i put the hose clamp on.

This is a huge pita as I have a seriously effed up back. With 2 herniations and sciatica it's not fun doing this by yourself with no lift. The only help I could get my bastard brother to do is push on the brake and try to start it while I was under it. Ratchet strap tie downs are your friend to lift the trans if you have no help. I will try to trace the wires whenI get home in about an hour and let you guys no what I find if I find anything.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

went at it for about 6 hrs yesterday trying to find the problem in the wiring. no fix. I'm gonna ride the bike to the store and get a nss. I just don't understand how the bastard went bad when it worked perfectly fine before.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:44 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

So does thw motor just spin and never start?
Old 02-23-2012, 03:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

I tried a new nss. still won't start.

the motor doesn't spin at all. i jumped the starter and the solenoid worked and it spun. but the gear indicator is still not working.

I can put the column shifter into any gear without puting my foot on the brake while the key is in the on position.

I'm gonna hook a scantool up to it tomorrow. Hopefully that'll tell me something.

could it be the ignition, crankshaft sensor?

oh I almost forgot, this trans was originally a 4x4 unit that I converted to 2wd. I hope that doesn't have anything to do with it...
Old 02-23-2012, 04:24 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Hm this is weird. You didn't happen to pinch the harness between the bellhousing and block, did you?
Old 02-23-2012, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

it's definitely not there now. It might have got sandwiched when i was lifting the trans. I hope that's not what it is because I effin hate tightening those tc bolts
Old 02-23-2012, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well this just keeps getting better by the moment. I hooked up an Actron cp9135 scanner and it says "link error". The book says this is due to a cut wire, loose connection, unplugged connections, faulty connections etc. Is this scan tool just a piece of ****? It seems like it's asking me to do it's job. Is there a scanner that would pinpoint something?
Old 02-23-2012, 11:58 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

this is what you have right? that big connector is securely down in there, right?

did you disconnect the battery when you removed the starter to do the swap? if not, check the pcm fuses.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Trying to catch up. You had a 80 before right? You didnt make any tune changes right?
Old 02-23-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Atomic

this is what you have right? that big connector is securely down in there, right?

did you disconnect the battery when you removed the starter to do the swap? if not, check the pcm fuses.
Yes that's what I have and it's securely attached. I checked the PCM fuses. they are good

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Trying to catch up. You had a 80 before right? You didnt make any tune changes right?
Yes I did. I took out the old one because the bellhousing broke.

Quick Reply: Help new 4l80e is in now truck wont start