Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Help new 4l80e is in now truck wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sometimes a low battery will play fits on the scanners?
Old 02-23-2012, 03:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dropped the trans. no sign of cut wires or anything.

There is trans fluid in the case connector. I'm wondering if this is the culprit.

Also I did the dual feed mod for the direct clutch. In the ASTG manual page 9 it says

Condition: No gear selections

cause: blocked holes, channels for the valve body/case...
Old 02-23-2012, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by chris092183
Dropped the trans. no sign of cut wires or anything.

There is trans fluid in the case connector. I'm wondering if this is the culprit.

Also I did the dual feed mod for the direct clutch. In the ASTG manual page 9 it says

Condition: No gear selections

cause: blocked holes, channels for the valve body/case...
The fluid in the connector just means its leaking. Its not shorting anything out. Also I'm pretty sure in the ATSG book what you read is with the vehicle running and not having engagements in any range. Your not even there yet. How bad did the bell in that vehicle break? The reason I ask is I'm thinking that maybe a wire or connection got broke when it happened. I would get a wiring schematic and start tracing all wiring from the trans to wherever it goes to check for resistance or an open or short to ground.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it got to be a broke wire some where
Old 02-24-2012, 06:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Vince B
The fluid in the connector just means its leaking. Its not shorting anything out. Also I'm pretty sure in the ATSG book what you read is with the vehicle running and not having engagements in any range. Your not even there yet. How bad did the bell in that vehicle break? The reason I ask is I'm thinking that maybe a wire or connection got broke when it happened. I would get a wiring schematic and start tracing all wiring from the trans to wherever it goes to check for resistance or an open or short to ground.
I was thinking the astg might have meant running but wasn't sure. o k well thanks for clearing that up.

The bell broke in 3 places but it didn't explode. I didn't even know it was broke till I dropped the trans to rebuild it. The truck ran for a while after the bell broke.

I'm thinking I cut a wire but I haven't been able to find it. Maybe I am missing a ground. I have searched for so long and I haven't found anything.

I need to find a nice wiring schematic do some more testing.

Originally Posted by gavin2005
it got to be a broke wire some where
I wish I knew where it was.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

As far as the scan tool not connecting it could be a few things. deppending on How old it is it may not be reading the New CAN protocol. The other thing could be a blown fuse. I am not sure on the GMT 900 but if the OBD2 Power is linked to the Cigarete power fuse circuit and the fuse is blown the scanner will not read. I have also seen people tap aftermarket Stereo equipment into the same power circuit as the OBD2 port cause a no scan issue.

On a side note If you need some help I may be able to come down over the weekend and try and help you sort this issue out.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
As far as the scan tool not connecting it could be a few things. deppending on How old it is it may not be reading the New CAN protocol. The other thing could be a blown fuse. I am not sure on the GMT 900 but if the OBD2 Power is linked to the Cigarete power fuse circuit and the fuse is blown the scanner will not read. I have also seen people tap aftermarket Stereo equipment into the same power circuit as the OBD2 port cause a no scan issue.

On a side note If you need some help I may be able to come down over the weekend and try and help you sort this issue out.
IDK how old it is, maybe 4 years old? I just remembered when I first tried hooking it up when my truck was working that I couldn't get the scanner to work. Hmmm

Hell yeah that would be awesome!
Old 02-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by chris092183
IDK how old it is, maybe 4 years old? I just remembered when I first tried hooking it up when my truck was working that I couldn't get the scanner to work. Hmmm

Hell yeah that would be awesome!
Then it may not be compatible with the CAN protocol

LMK
Old 02-24-2012, 11:12 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

This really sounds like a pain in the ***. Maybe you could do some continuity checks in the wiring...

Old 02-25-2012, 01:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by smokeshow
This really sounds like a pain in the ***. Maybe you could do some continuity checks in the wiring...

You got that right. I've been staring at this so long I don't even know what my name is any more.

Thanks for posting the pics etc. Do you have the correct readings by chance? As in what I voltage, ohms etc. I am seeking? I was gonna just go off of a test light but if a wire is cut I believe the current can drop so i.....uh what? idk i'm pretty damned electronically ignorant

I only know of 2 people, for a fact and who post regularly, who have done the 80e swap on a gmt900 and that's you and Greg (redheartbeat)

Last edited by chris092183; 02-25-2012 at 02:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Help new 4l80e is in now truck wont start