Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Help with static drop dimensions - truck is too low

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

That's exactly what I ran into, thanks for the article. Sounds like belltech just sucks and I should have stuck with mcgaughys because they are proven to work well.

New springs should be here this week, then I'm just waiting on one upper isolator from Amazon and I'm ready to swap springs.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 149 Likes on 102 Posts

So it's not just me huh? I ordered dropped Belltech front springs on my GMT900. I just wanted a slight drop to level with the rear drop, so the kit was supposed to provided 1-2". Long story short, pretty sure with all the spacers added it's at least if not more than 2" lower. Quality of the kit was good (like that they supply shorter bump stops), but next shock change, I'll be doing something different.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Kinda the same thing happened to me with my first truck I had... truck was a 97 c1500 single cab and I wanted to drop it 2-4 so I ordered a belltech kit springs and shackle/hangers.. the truck had a very noticeable rake it looked way lower than 2 in the front... long story short I letter added a flip kit instead on the rear and that was the way I got it leveled with the front but in reality looked more like a 4-6... after that I have only used McGaughys on all my lowering parts and never had any issues...
Old 05-09-2020, 07:12 AM
TECH Resident

Well just to close the loop, summit took the belltech springs back no problems, and I purchased Mcgaughys springs. I installed them yesterday and it was a dead nuts 2" drop. Drivers front and passenger front are both 15.5" on the money. The belltech chevy lean spacer works perfect.

The rear is 15.0" and now I'm trying to decide the best way to get 1/2" lift back there so it's even front to back.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ILuvJDM
Well just to close the loop, summit took the belltech springs back no problems, and I purchased Mcgaughys springs. I installed them yesterday and it was a dead nuts 2" drop. Drivers front and passenger front are both 15.5" on the money. The belltech chevy lean spacer works perfect.

The rear is 15.0" and now I'm trying to decide the best way to get 1/2" lift back there so it's even front to back.
Might be possible to get a taller spring isolator. Or, I added airbags so I could pressure them up for extra load capacity with my lowered springs.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:38 AM
100% Redneck

Received 1,334 Likes on 794 Posts

You know you're gonna get some settling in the front after driving awhile. I'd hold off until i knew the front has reached it's natural position.
The following users liked this post:
68Formula (05-09-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 04:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RedXray
You know you're gonna get some settling in the front after driving awhile. I'd hold off until i knew the front has reached it's natural position.
That's an excellent point.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RedXray
I made it a point to make sure the spring was rotated in the pocket on the control arm, but I think the spring will push itself into the new isolator and ultimately lower the truck a bit more. Good point, I'll hold off on anything until I put some miles on it and get an alignment
Old 10-24-2023, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .

I removed the viking coilovers and strongarms from my red truck, and replaced with OEM lower control arms, belltech 2"drop coils,and belltech SP shocks. The truck still has the belltech 2" drop spindles that it had with the coilover setup. So to summarize, just 2" lowering springs and 2" lowering spindles.
With the coilover setup in the front, I was 15.0" hub to fender on all 4 corners of the truck and the rear was a 6" flip kit. I was expecting to set the truck down and have 15.5" or maybe 15.0" again, but when I set it down the drivers side was 14.0" and the passenger side was 14.5" and I cannot even drive the truck it just rides on the tires.

Here are the springs I have: https://www.belltech.com/belltech-99...rop-23408.html

I did not install the OEM upper isolator because the instructions below. I only have the spring and the black 1" spacer from belltech in the spring pocket.
SPRING DISTANCE SPACERS Belltech’s new application specific “Spring Distance lift spacers” are manufactured by a specialized injection process. Belltech offers an exclusive spacer system engineered with spring contours to dissipate the spring load evenly over the whole spacer surface. All spacers are designed to lift your vehicle by 1”. This could be used to lift your factory ride height as well to adjust an existing lowering. The ease of installation makes this a great 1” lifting solution! Spring distance spacers will replace the O.E.M. top isolator.
Any ideas?

How much drop did you get with the ridetech strong arms and coilovers? Was told by their reps it would be a 2” drop with uca lca and stock spindle which is what I’m going for. Any issues with alignment or ride quality?

Old 10-25-2023, 06:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by H3VYCH3VY
How much drop did you get with the ridetech strong arms and coilovers? Was told by their reps it would be a 2” drop with uca lca and stock spindle which is what I’m going for. Any issues with alignment or ride quality?
he sold this truck a couple years ago, not sure if he still visits the site.

Quick Reply: Help with static drop dimensions - truck is too low