Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

help on trailblazer converter

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help on trailblazer converter

Hey all I purchased a TB converter off here to install during my conversion. The converter was physicaly smaller and lighter. I looked for numbers but didnt see any. It was new so I had the box and all but bought it from a member. Well it is installed but it doesnt seem to "stall" If I brake torque it it might make it to 1100 RPM I am not sure about the flash cause if I give it much if any gas it just spins. I never drove the truck with the original converter.
It is working great but I cant get it to stall.
Do you think I have a TB stall or did I get ripped?
It has been tuned so I dont think that has much to do with it.
Dave
Old 11-07-2005, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Is it only going up to 1100 on the brake stall because the wheels start spinning or is it because thats all it will go to?

If your brakes are holding the tires from spinning, you should be getting a lot more than 1100rpms. When I tried on mine, I got around 2600.

EDIT: Oh and you said it was smaller, how much smaller? My factory 5.3 convertor was almost if not the exact same size. Sent it back in the same box and took up the same amount of space.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:04 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the V8 and I6 trailblazer converters are different. You want the one for the 6 I believe.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well as far as the size it was just a smaller diameter not sure how much but noticable.
Basically the brakes wont hold it or I can get it to spin the tires. I was not sure what it was I was told it was the correct one?
Dave
Old 11-11-2005, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

anybody else have any thoughts what converter might this be it is smaller (slightly) in diameter and lighter it only stalls around 1100
Thanks
Dave
Old 11-11-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

A stock stall will look like this

A TB stall will look like this

A stock stall in these trucks with there weight should be around 1600. If your seeing only 1100, either you not getting a "true" stall reading or you have a really tight converter. Do you have power brakes? If you do, then rev it in neutral to build max vacuum in the brake buster, then mash the brakes as hard as you can and push the gas and see how high it will stall to and that is what your stall rating would be for you converter. If your brakes can't hold it back, then you have no way of measuring what your stall is, and really, you need better brakes!
Old 11-11-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the pictures I do believe (minus the color) the one I installed matches the bottom one so I will try the braking thing again.
I do have good brakes so would you suggest mashing down on the gas and brake untill it starts to spin?
I have an adjustable rear propationing valve should this be tight to help hold or loose to allow them to spin?
I will find a good spot to try this I am just afraid the tires will just go up in smoke I hadnt driven a vehicle with a stall but this one just seems as tight as a stock one I may not have "pushed" it hard enough? I see what everybody says about go bigger on the stall it sure doesnt change the driveability...
Dave
Old 11-11-2005, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Do what ever you have too to keep the tires from spinning.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you drop into neutral while holding the brake and rev the engine you'll get more pedal. Let it idle back down then back to drive. Gives you more braking power.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

great thanks guys, I will give this another try, I am pretty sure I have the TB converter I just expected this to feel somewhat "looser" in just my initial trials I probably wasnt pushing it hard enough I thought it might actually feel like it might "free rev" or atleast seem more loose. I never drove this engine combo in the truck with the original converter this was all part of my conversion.
I did do some reworking on the brakes after the original posts I didnt like the feel on the front brakes I have a new master cyl and prop valve and they do feel stronger now. I will just mash and hold the brakes a bit harder.
It just seemed like it wanted to go at the 1100 RPM
I will report back after the weekend...
Thanks
Dave

Quick Reply: help on trailblazer converter