Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Help!! Tranny quit on me. Look inside please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Tranny quit on me. Look inside please.

Hey guys, I don't know if I burned up the tranny but I was just driving it with no signs of any problems at all and it went neutral on me instantly. No gears work. it did not start slipping or anything. tranny fluid is fine. I had a tranny go out on me about three years ago and it gave me warning signs. back then,It started to slip in third, then second, and so on. could this be something external that just took a dump? Any info that anyone might have would be GREATLY appreciated. btw, this is in an 04 1500 ec with a 4l60e, hd2 and a tb converter. Thanks...

Last edited by dirtdiggler02; 10-02-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:40 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

How is the fluid level? Is the fluid black and smell burnt or is it still cherry red?
Old 10-02-2011, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Atomic
How is the fluid level? Is the fluid black and smell burnt or is it still cherry red?
Cherry red. no burnt smell.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it could be a broken pump. I would verify if it is still pumping fluid. You could do this by installing a pressure gauge into the pressure port above the shifter linkage. Or by pulling a cooler line. If no pressure is found then this is where your issue probably is. Have you recently installed your TG kit? I guess its possible that the snap ring for the boost valve could have blown out of its bore and created a huge pressure leak. Vince
Old 10-02-2011, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vince B
Sounds like it could be a broken pump. I would verify if it is still pumping fluid. You could do this by installing a pressure gauge into the pressure port above the shifter linkage. Or by pulling a cooler line. If no pressure is found then this is where your issue probably is. Have you recently installed your TG kit? I guess its possible that the snap ring for the boost valve could have blown out of its bore and created a huge pressure leak. Vince
Hey Vince, Thanks for the info. I'm going to check it out tomorrow. The tranny was rebuilt with the hd2 kit and the tb convberter three and 1/2 years ago. If it is the pump, the tranny should be shot though, right? without being able to pump the fluid, . I thought it would fry the fluid that is in there. I have no experience with a faliure like this. Now if it is that, I'm going to swap to a 4l80e. I bought one about 2 years ago just in case and have been aquiring the parts needed for the swap. I actually ordered the converter from Chris at circle d the day before it crapped out on me. i just figured that if it would be a simple fix, I woulld do it, but if I have to take down the tranny to replace the pump, the 4l80e will just replace it.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes if the pump is broke then there is definitely metal in the unit. It would need to be removed and cleaned out just like when it was originally built IMO. I know guys do not do it as I would but that is the chance you take. In most cases when the pump breaks the converter is damaged as well. Some of the debris will float down into the passages of the pump and also back into the filter. If you do decide to just toss a pump and converter make sure to use a new filter. Best of luck. Vince
Old 10-03-2011, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vince B
Yes if the pump is broke then there is definitely metal in the unit. It would need to be removed and cleaned out just like when it was originally built IMO. I know guys do not do it as I would but that is the chance you take. In most cases when the pump breaks the converter is damaged as well. Some of the debris will float down into the passages of the pump and also back into the filter. If you do decide to just toss a pump and converter make sure to use a new filter. Best of luck. Vince
Thanks alot Vince. That tranny is on its way out and the 4l80 wil have a new home under my truck. Once I pull out the 4l60, i'll take it apart to inspect it. Thanks again.