Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

HELP!!! Trans fluid everywhere

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 02:44 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Trans fluid everywhere

I swapped the converter out to a yank 2600 TT. Filled it with ~1 1/2 quarts of fluid. Install went fine. Then I installed a B&M deep trans pan. It was a pain in the ***. Directions sucked, etc. Torqued the bolts with the cork gasket to 8-9 lbs.Anyways, after I got everything back on, I Filled the trans with 6 quarts of fluid. Started the truck, then it started to leak around the front of the trans pan. Turned it off and retorqued the bolts to 12 ft. lbs. Turned it back on again, no leak whatsoever. Added 5 1/2 more quarts, checking the level after each one. Total of 11 1/2 quarts + 1 1/2 in the converter. Drove it around for about 10 min and came back. Had 2-3 drops of fluid on the back of the pan. I could not retorque the back bolts to 12 ft lbs, due to the exhaust. Figured it would be okay until in the morning. Drove to get something to eat on the way to work tonight, about 10-15 min from my house. I was in the drive-through and smoke was everywhere like something was on fire, I jumped out and looked under my truck and fluid was just dripping everywhere. I pulled over and immediatly shut it off. The whole driveshaft, undercarriage, everything was wet with trans fluid.

Could it be just a loose trans pan? I think I'm gonna put the regular pan back on when I get off, in the parking lot. That's gonna be fun. After that, if something happens I'm gonna have a nervous f*cking breakdown. I've had about 6 hours of sleep in the last 2 1/2 days because of working on this ****. So please, if anybody has any input, I would appreciate it. Thanks
Old 08-22-2007, 05:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Was the gasket the flexible cork type. Did you use any sealent when you bolted it up? I reused my stock pan and gasket when I installed my shift kit and just used a little bit of gasket sealer and hasn't leaked a drop in about 10,000 miles.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:19 AM
formerly 1BADC10 (12/14/2011)

First, I'm wondering if you used enough fluid in the TC. 1 1/2 qts seems a bit low, but that depends on TC size. My 10" PTC3K takes close to 3 qts. Anyhow, with an OEM truck pan (non-shallow), you should get nearly 7 qts to consider it full. With an aftermarket deep pan (deeper than OEM deep pan), you'll have to add 2 more qts to consider it full. That's your fluid fill recommendation.

As for your leak, you should retorque your trans pan bolts after the first heat cycle. I do every time b/c of metal expansion with heat. The retorque will help with snuggin' the pan to the trans for a tighter seal (don't go overboard on it though). Before my Gen III swap (in my dad's days), gasket sealer is all that was used to make a seal tight connection.

Good luck!
Old 08-22-2007, 07:37 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible that you rolled the gasket over when you installed the pan? I have never had an issue with one of those pans leaking nor did it require silicone.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:14 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

replied on 'Tech bro
Old 08-22-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive never had good luck with them Cork gaskets, or them thick rubber ones..

where you able to find out exaclty where the leak is comin from?
Old 08-22-2007, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Ive never had good luck with them Cork gaskets, or them thick rubber ones..

where you able to find out exaclty where the leak is comin from?
Thats the first thing you need to do. Clean it up as best you can underneath and find out where the leak is coming from, then figure out how to fix it.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:25 AM
14 Second Truck Club

I put on the rubber gasket and heat sheild. Same ****. But, I'm not so sure if its the pan. I think it's the dipstick. I had trouble getting it out when I did the swap and the bracket got slightly bent. I actually had to pop it with a rubber mallet a couple of times to get it to go in. I just checked it and it's at a slight angle and I don't think it's all the way in on the backside, front side looks a little to far in. I'm getting a new dipstick gasket, in case this one is ripped or whatever. Because like some have said, it should be leaking all the time if it was the oil pan.

Thanks for everybody's help! Especially Vince & Chuck @ FLT!
Old 08-23-2007, 11:35 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Oh yeah, I pulled it in my driveway to try to find the leak and it quit leaking. Imagine that! I drove around my neighborhood for about 5 min and came back, I checked it and it was fine. I went in the house to get a bottle of water and came back out and that's when it started leaking, so I turned it off. I tried everything to get it to leak again, letting it idle, put the rear up on jackstands and even put it in drive, nothing. But the heat sheild I put back on the tranny was dripping steady with fluid. The dipstick to the end of heatshield is where it's the wettest. The front is fine, was kinda scared that it was the front seal. Stuck my hand in the inspection cover and it was dry. Wish me luck!
Old 08-23-2007, 08:29 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Well, I finally found the problem. My dumb *** didn't double check the return line from the tranny cooler. It looked like it was cliped and secure. It was in, but not locked in.

It's up and running good now!

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Trans fluid everywhere